The Sewing Place

Who are your favourite sewing bloggers...and why?

Marniesews

Who are your favourite sewing bloggers...and why?
« on: May 12, 2018, 00:48:05 AM »
I have links stored in my bookmarks to quite a few bloggers but I'm terrible at following them, I'm even several weeks behind our own DF so please don't tell her.  :|

There are quite a few I really don't like much, especially those with fewer apparent skills and knowledge than they like to think so it'd be interesting to know which ones don't grab your ear too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

maliw

Re: Who are your favourite sewing bloggers...and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »
The one I follow most is DF and I don't have to tell you why.
The next one is
https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com/, her work is brilliant and never ceases to amaze me. It's mostly wedding dresses but I've picked up tips and tricks from here.
https://corecouture.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/may-2/ and http://fabrickated.com/ are also on my list and I enjoy a good read but not as often as the others.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »
I like this... she uses a lot of Tilton patterns
http://gayleygirl.blogspot.co.uk

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »
I am not really a follower as such, but Colleen G Lea of FSBTV is often mentioned as someone who knows her stuff.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
I used to follow La Sewista regularly, but she's moved house, and appears to have retired from blogging.  I love DF's entertaining style, and look in often, also love our own Fran's blog, Plus Girl Sews.  Not many others I follow regularly, but I like watching Helen @ Stitch my Style on Youtube, she's very entertaining and a capable sewer.  I also pop in to watch Maria @ Stitched in Sweden, but she is mainly a knitter.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 10:21:56 AM »
I like this... she uses a lot of Tilton patterns
http://gayleygirl.blogspot.co.uk

I really shouldn't have looked at that - I now have £45 worth of patterns sitting in my basket at Jaycotts, but really ought to wait for a Vogue sale - wonder how long it is til the next one?

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
oooh thanks for the link- I want to try this technique now
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
Yes, I loved that as well  :)  I have an embellishing/felting machine which I have yet to actually use - I once saw something where it looked like chiffon had been attached to a tweed material and I reckon it was using one of these machines, so I want to experiment with fabrics to see if I can make the sort of effect of that pocket.

MrsThrifty

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 14:03:21 PM »
Lara @ Thornberry. Prolific sewer. Mum of two girls and a dapper husband. Great mix.
Bonnie @ Sew Plus. Another power sewer. Seems like she makes a few things every week.
Carolyn @ Diary of a Sewing Fanatic. Not my style, but I love her writing and think she'd be fun to sew alongside.
Melissa @ Fehrtrade. Again, not my style, but very thoughtful posts and useful as a resource.
Sigrid @ Sigrid's Sewing Projects. I started following Sigrid when she wrote about bra-making. Her jackets are beautifully finished.
Andie @ Sew pretty in pink. As a plus-gal myself, I appreciate seeing different body types rocking their own look through sewing.
Elaine @ The Demented Fairy. Nuff said- another prolific power sewist!

Edit to add- I follow all of 'em through bloglovin (phone and PC), I don't think I'd remember to check in with all those blogs without it!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 14:09:08 PM by MrsThrifty »

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 14:53:21 PM »
I like the look of Sigrid's blog. Oh dear, I spend too much time on the puter as it is.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 15:02:24 PM »
Oh dear, I spend too much time on the puter as it is.
Same here, which is why I dare not start following.  I do, however, drop into member blogs from time to time and can always be sure of no holds barred commentaries from @DementedFairy. 0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 15:11:06 PM »
I follow lots-all different reasons, some for  the sewing some for the laughs

Fabrickated, CoreCouture & CatherineDaze for stylish, classy creations
Thornberry cos we're the same basic shape, and she loves StyleArc too [and her daughters are delightful]

Frockflicks for sheer snarky hilarity
Pretty Grievances if only for 'Wearable Wednesday' which is HILARIOUS

The wedding dress trials of Mrs Mole are mentioned below of course
Ernie K Designs for fascinating exploits in self-printed fabrics and drafting
Hila on Saturday Night Stitch - she makes fun stuff for herself, her hubster, and her gorgeous kids
Sassy Sarah on Wanderstitch for cool to the nth degree

Loads more.  Some post frequently, some not so much, but all are fun to read
C'est moi!

Efemera

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 18:11:21 PM »
Wow, quite a few links to ones I've not seen here. Thank you. I've tried a couple of sewing podcasts but they really don't do it for me sadly. I like the idea but think I want more info, less social chat. What a grump!

But now I'm thinking of all the extra time I'll be spending reading your recommended blogs...perhaps I'd better spread it out over some time - after I've caught up with DF of course!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

SingingSinger

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 18:34:25 PM »
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)