The Sewing Place

Pressing..

Renegade Sewist

Re: Pressing..
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 20:51:32 PM »
I only use the iron to press as I sew. I don't iron clothing. I get it out of the dryer ASAP and hand smooth anything that needs it. I wear mostly linen or linen blend pants so slightly rumpled is the name of the game. I have a garment steamer for when I want things a bit tidier, which isn't often.

Might I add I live a casual life in laid back California. Here I get kuddo's and attagirls for not wasting resources pressing and ironing things. Just don't tell them about the dryer, OK?  I'd line dry but too many allergies these days and too much pollen out there.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Surest1tch

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 21:26:40 PM »
I despise ironing but in this instance you've got to press as you go or you'll end with that something's missing look besides which I think it helps you spot any mistakes you may have made.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 21:36:16 PM »
I only use the iron to press as I sew. I don't iron clothing. I get it out of the dryer ASAP and hand smooth anything that needs it.

I also hand smooth, although I don't have or would ever get a dryer.

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 22:14:35 PM »
My dryer is an indulgence but with the weather we have here drying on a line is impossible.  I fold when warm and only iron if absolutely essential.  DH knows not to buy shirts that need to be ironed.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 22:14:42 PM »
Why no dryer?

Marniesews

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 01:15:52 AM »
We don't have a dryer either. Partly because there's not room for it inside the house but also for reasons of energy consumption. My daughter has one but every time I do a bit of washing there & look at the care label most of it seems to say no tumble drying.

I suppose you could sew entirely without an iron if you only sew lycra but that's all I can think of. Who wants to use sew-in interfacing all the time just to avoid having an iron?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »
@Efemera: for pretty much the same reasons as Marniesews.  When I wore shirts, they would be rolled into a ball after washing and ironed the next day whilst just damp enough not to require steaming.

Efemera

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
A case in point...
This is advertising their new pattern.. apart from being fugly....PRESS IT PROPERLY ( or if it won’t press then use something that will ) a really bad example

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »
Are they joking?  Unpressed seams is my red mist trigger. :angry:

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
Oh my!  Does that scream 'home made' or what?!?   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
I stapled the hem on my school skirt and it looked better than that!!! (I was 13  0_0) It didn't even need stapled..... I'll stop now.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Marniesews

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 01:58:38 AM »
@Efemera     -< OMG!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 14:45:31 PM »
There’s a whole load of posts on FB about that dress..it’s on The Curvy Sewing Collective.

eclectic

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 14:49:22 PM »
oh my goodness, that pic is too funny ... they even put the callouts to highlight all the 'unpressed' seams

edit:oops now in hindsight I wonder if Efemera put the callouts on
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 15:02:43 PM by eclectic »

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 14:51:19 PM »
@Francesca: do you even need a pattern for that 'dress'.   Colette should concentrate on drafting before rushing out new patterns.