The Sewing Place

Advice please......

Lizzielogs

Advice please......
« on: May 13, 2018, 23:05:48 PM »
I have to make a purse for someone and she has given me a list of likes - one of which is 'paint splatter' - I make purses from quilting weight cotton and have been looking for a FQ of said fabric and coming up with a big fat zero - plenty in the US but not here it seems.
Anyway I have come across a lot of what's described on eBay as "Hand Dyed Colourful 100% Cotton Batik Summer Dressmaking Craft Fabric", in this instance what does 'batik' mean, is it a term for the colour technique or can it be a term to also describe the weight of the fabric 'cos I have a feeling this is going to be thin floaty cotton which is what I don't want!!
Could someone help please?
Thanks everso

BrendaP

Re: Advice please......
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 23:15:27 PM »
Batik is the way colour is applied to a fabric using a wax resist.
https://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/batik-instructions.html

Usually, but not always, it is used on a cotton base fabric with a closer weave than that of regular craft weight/P&Q fabric
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 23:21:07 PM »
Batik is the way colour is applied to a fabric using a wax resist.
https://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/batik-instructions.html

Usually, but not always, it is used on a cotton base fabric with a closer weave than that of regular craft weight/P&Q fabric

Thank you, I knew the process from school days but was unsure if the word 'batik' had another meaning relative to the weight of the fabric.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 23:25:46 PM »
Batik is definitely a technique, or fabric dyed using that technique.  It doesn't describe the base fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:53 AM »
I ordered a couple of batiks when doing the cushion swap and they were lovely sturdy stuff. Double sided as well. I don't know if that's true of them all but it probably is due to the dying process.
Some of them can be really crisp and clear and some tend towards sludge. Keep that in mind when you're choosing and good luck.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lizzielogs

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:50:58 AM »
I ordered a couple of batiks when doing the cushion swap and they were lovely sturdy stuff. Double sided as well. I don't know if that's true of them all but it probably is due to the dying process.
Some of them can be really crisp and clear and some tend towards sludge. Keep that in mind when you're choosing and good luck.  :)

Thank you, a lot say they are suitable for quilting, craft and bagmaking so I was going to give one a go - did you pre wash Wrenkins??

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
I might have just the thing, I bought it in America....I’ll dig it out when I get home.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »
I always prewash. I notice that Craftsy recommend that you don't but I'm not going to put all that work in only to have it shrink or run after I've finished. I wash at 30°C as a matter of course.
I learnt that the hard way when I paid a king's ransom for floor length curtains only to have them swinging 4" up in the air after washing!  0_0 I took them back to be rehemmed and thereafter I washed my curtain fabrics and took them back to have them made up. The man in the shop laughed but since I was still spending squillions (removed window and replaced with French windows) he humoured me.
Having said all that I mostly make my own now.
In short...yes.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lizzielogs

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 13:43:37 PM »
I might have just the thing, I bought it in America....I’ll dig it out when I get home.

Ooooooooooh!!

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 16:12:27 PM »
Going to dig it out now...

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 16:25:30 PM »
I have 2 yards of each

Lizzielogs

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 17:11:06 PM »
I have 2 yards of each

Oooh, thank you so much for digging them out unfortunately I only need a FQ and the light one is too pale for a purse and the other would be lost as I only need it for the interior card slots. Sosorry you had to go toall that trouble.Now you have themout perhaps it may be their time to be made up!