The Sewing Place

Stink!

wrenkins

Re: Stink!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 13:26:35 PM »
I had an Afghan goat coat.
Anyone who was there will know what that means. Anyone who wasn't there will n e v e r know what that means.  :x
I loved that smell.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 13:34:46 PM »
Ewww...Ooooh...yes. Afghan coats.  ;)  I know what your sayin' wrenkins. Some of them stunk absolutely vile, but, somehow mine was O.K.

Once smelt, never forgotten.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 13:37:51 PM »
Mine was definitely in the vile camp especially when wet. My mother decided, in her wisdom, to spray it with perfume. Helena Rubenstein Apple Blossom.  :x Dear Lord!!!!!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 13:46:08 PM »
Oh, deary me.  :x

Desperate circumstances and all that....'could it smell any worse if I spray a bit of this on it?'....

Sandra.
xxx

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 20:26:13 PM »
OMG,!!! Yes the white afghan coats - thought I was the Bee's knees  - hot pants, boots, crochet sweater and afghan, some continental leaves for gentle inhalation - those were the days of  peace and lurve, peace and curve! You had to have been there. That coat saw a lot of action  ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 20:28:04 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Fiona M

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 20:50:17 PM »
Our local branch of Chelsea Girl had to close for fumigation after a delivery of Afghan coats turned out to have fleas on board!  :D

Efemera

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 20:52:21 PM »
The fabric that started all this has gone to the charity shop.... someone else’s problem now!

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 21:06:21 PM »
I remember that Chelsea Girl story @Fiona M . Loved the shop in the 70s though.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lizzy777

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
Instant flashback to the 70s when I had a beige anorak (off the market - thanks Mum) which smelt of fish despite frequent airing and washing from the moment it came out of its plastic wrapping to the day about 3 years later when I was finally released from its stinky clutches by growing out of it.

Probably polyester, definitely revolting.  :fish:

It probably had formaldehyde added to the fabric. That would account for the fishy type smell. I always remember when we made this in Chemistry (in test tubes) and the smell was just awful.

Have a read of this.
https://www.cottonique.com/blogs/blog/7-reasons-why-formaldehyde-in-clothing-is-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself

Not got much time to search for more scientific papers on it but this webpage explains it well enough. It was used in the 70's and still is  "This compound is also present in clothes since it is used to prevent wrinkles and mildew. It may be quite useful in preserving clothing materials since it can also increase stain resistance and colorfastness". Not without its health risks though.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:43:47 AM by Lizzy777 »

arrow

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
I think nearly all of the soft plastic materials contains dubeous substances. Formaldehyde is one, even more common these days are bisphenol A and B, phthalates,... The list is probably long. Some of the odd smells are probably just a bit unpleasant, like the rubber inner tubes for bike tires. Some of these smells I'm convinced are due to solvent residues, very much like white spirit. The problem is we never get a full list of ingredients when it comes to this, it's just called PVC, plyurethane, polyester, butyl, leatherette... A part of this is dute production secrets too, the best hightech fiber treatments for water proofing, stain proofing, etc. It's too much info to put on the back side of a wash lable.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 21:08:57 PM by arrow »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 20:14:55 PM »
I absolutely loved my Afghan coat, and it didn't smell too bad  0_0

arrow

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 21:11:47 PM »
Afgan coats, I'm not sure I've seen one since I was 6. Shearling shouldn't smell though?