The Sewing Place

(Mis) Managing the Stash

b15erk

(Mis) Managing the Stash
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
I go to the Fabric shop at least once a week, and I have a weakness for the Remnant Bin, which is set just inside the door.  Consequently, before I have bought a single item, I have an arm full from the Bin. These Bin swoops cost me £2-3, and I have had some lovely fabrics.

I have now run out of space.  :|

At the weekend I gathered all the fabric I bought into one place (Theo's Moses basket), where it is piled high.  I'm going to bring a couple of large plastic boxes from work to organise it all, but first I need to ask the Question.  How do you all manage your stash?

I start off with good intentions, but before long, after I have dived in several times to find elusive fabrics, the boxes and drawers are all mixed up.

Do you organise by colour, fabric type, usage or what?  Atm, my categories run to Bra and swimsuit fabrics, linings, costumes, jerseys, but this isn't really working, as some of the categories overlap.

Please help me to be tidy.... :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: (Mis) Managing the Stash
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
Not sure I can help, mine is in different boxes, all mixed up, and I have no idea what's in where!  My latest plan is to move my old toy sewing machines out of the glass doored ikea tall bookcases and use those shelves.
I think organising by fabric type will be most useful for me.  Hmm, that'll be shelf 1 - jersey; shelf 2 - jersey; shelf 3 - jersey...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:07:24 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
I bought a 5ft hanging rail as I don’t have a spare wardrobe, and some cheap trouser hangers, and then hang all my fabrics so I can see what I’ve got. Still never have what I’m looking for for a project though, so have to buy more   :ninja:

I also have a loose leaf binder where I cut small slivers of the fabric as I buy and detail length, width and where possible to make up of the fabric, ie cotton , poly, viscose etc.

Interfacing, elastic and other habby , I buy the large zip lock bags and label such as, knit fusible interfacing, med sew in etc. These are then stored in a large plastic container along with calico, muslin and linings.

I know where everything is, but I’m not particularly tidy.

I’ve attached a photo but comes with a warning to @Lolli  and @Lowena of too much stash and mess.

Procrastination get behind me

maliw

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Mine is in big plastic boxes and drawers, I started to make a list several months ago and gave up as there was so much !!!!!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »
It's reassuring to know that not all of you are super well organised!  I thought it was just me!

I do need to try to be a bit tidier - just so that I have half a chance of finding the fabrics I know I have, when I need them - instead of going out for more!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
I break out in a sweat if I have more than 5 or 6 lengths of fabric waiting g to be made up.  Even at that number I can forget I've got stuff.  If I had a fabric shop nearby I wouldn't stockpile anything.
Life's too short for ironing.

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »
I have a few drawers with fabrics sorted by type: lace, boucles, tartans/plaids, cottons and linings... 6 desk type of drawers in total. Not a lot when compared to stashes I hear of  :devil:

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »
OMG @Holly Berry   I'm afraid I couldn't be doing with that  :| All that visibility ....... I'd have to have everything neatly packaged and put away from sight. However......if it works for you, that's great ( runs off shuddering  :D )
Needless to say, I don't have a stash and the fabrics I'm working with are in a plastic, lidded box  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:54:47 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »
Lowena - look away, now.

I have a clothes rail like Holly Berry's with my longer pieces hanging on it.  It is currently threatening to collapse under the weight.  I then have a chest of drawers - merchant chest type with small drawers - that has my smaller pieces, categorised by type mostly.  Above that there is a small wall unit with my fat quarters, arranged largely by colour, but also as florals, checks etc.

Finally, there is a unit made from a kitchen base cupboard, double width, which has... ummm...  well, it's full,  Largely material that I've had for a long time and really ought to get rid of because I can't quite imagine using it.  Of course every now and then it produces precisely what I need, so maybe I'll hang onto it for a while longer.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
@Acorn  I'm afraid I wasn't quick enough to exit the page........ what's to be done with you???  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
Shoved in cupboards in the craft room.. and cupboards in DD bedroom. I know vaguely what’s where but it’s in no particular order.

Missie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
Mine is folded up with a label attached of how much and fibre content where known and stored in an Ikea fabric shoe type box in type of fabric, eg, cottons, linings, satins.  It is amazing how much you can fit into one of those boxes.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
I should really think about selling some of mine, but I can't imagine that anyone would want it.... :S

Jessie

Sandra

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
Mine is folded away in boxes, bin bags and large hessian shopping bags...really untidy...and it's dumped in my untidy sewing room.

My FQ's are more neatly stored in bags.

I occasionally go through it all and am usually surprised by what I find in there.  ><  I've got some nice stuff!  Stuff I'm sick of looking at, I'll sell it on Ebay.
I recently sold some scrap bags of polycottons, some chiffons and some satin print fabrics. I don't ask a lot for them but I'd rather they go to someone who can make use of them than to throw them out.
Pretty much everything will sell on there eventually.

I impulse buy on Brum rag market...Bargains!!... and sometimes wonder what I was thinking.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
Y'all need to put them on here!  :ninja:  :devil:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!