The Sewing Place

(Mis) Managing the Stash

sdBev

Re: (Mis) Managing the Stash
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 01:10:45 AM »
I have mine carefully folded, sorted, and stacked on shelves. Used to sort only by color which looks really lovely but I starts sorting by color then type of project.  So I have like 2 stacks of test quality fabrics sorted Into stretch and non stretch stacks.  Another example is fabrics sorted for outfits based on black/grey. Subaorted into pants weight and tops again sorted into stretch and non-stretch.

Kwaaked

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 03:33:37 AM »
The SWAKOP let me know I got some fabric, about 100 yards or so, that I should donate.  It's just stuff I don't care for or looks cheap (like double knit).

Not that it would make much difference to the whole of the stash, over all.  My plan in total, including the extra looks, is 65 yards and doesn't even begin to dent the boxes.

elisep

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 13:08:31 PM »
I like to say I have a suave Spanish man organising my fabric stash  >< no really, I have 2 of these in my cupboard. That's all I've got room for unfortunately, and my fabric is spilling over!! I do also have a tub of fabrics that I should probably just get rid of, and a box with my "planned projects". Basically the newest purchases go into the box of planned projects and sit there with an intended pattern until I buy another length of fabric and have a brilliant idea for making it up... then to fit it in the projects box I have to take something else out  :o

In terms of how I sort them, as I've only got 6 drawers to work with (the top of each antonius is filled with UFOs  :|), they are very loosely grouped into weights - lightweight, medium weight and heavyweight. Then my wool fabrics on their own, linings and interfacings together.
Because they're wire baskets, I can mostly see what's in each (doesn't stop me forgetting what's there!). I've often though about making a sample book for myself, but I don't know that I have the dedication to keep it updated.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres