The Sewing Place

Presser Foot

Silver Rose

Presser Foot
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
Apologies if this seems like a silly question. When you have finished sewing for the day how should you leave the Presser Foot, up or down? I leave it in the down position with the needle at its highest point because I think when it is up there is a certain amount of stress on the mechanism. But I seem to have read or heard somewhere that the Presser Foot should only be down when you are sewing therefore up at all other times. Or, does it matter?
Still learning

Holly Berry

Re: Presser Foot
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
On a mechanical the spring is under tension when the foot is up, so logic would tell to leave it down. On a computerised machine, I’m only assuming the foot is still controlled by a spring?

I have noticed though on the last 2 machines I’ve bought, a computerised sewing machine and mechanical overlocker, that the foot was down in transit with a piece of cloth underneath.

Hopefully @arrow or @Roger can help.
Procrastination get behind me

Roger

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
I tend to go for down with a piece of cloth under it, and the needle high ready to sew.  But tbh I hadn’t actually really thought about it...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

eclectic

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »
I leave my down and the needle too, I do this for safety reasons .... one day the dogs were running around and hooked the machine by the cord and it went flying ... everything was fine except the presser foot leaver broke off as it was up and sticking out  :(

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 15:21:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure the presser foot is down - it's been a while since I last used the machine - but I can't speak for the needle.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 17:39:19 PM »
Some of my machines make that decision for me.

My old mechanical Bernina's won't go in their case without the foot lever being in the down position so I've taken that as confirmation for my other mechanicals that I should do so with them. Actually it's the same for my early Bernina computerised version but that may be because the body of the 1130 isn't that different to the 1020 and uses the same case but I'm pretty certain my Pfaff P5 lifts the foot automatically (not used her for a month or two - must remember to do so) so I leave that one up.

Hmm, perhaps this isn't as helpful as I'd hoped in answering the question.  -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 17:49:56 PM »
I've always left presser feet down, partly cos I think I had to with past machines' cases, and partly so the spring isn't under tension.  I also leave needles down (unless I've taken it out) so that it doesn't get damaged as I tend to wind up the foot control and wedge it in the harp space for storage.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 19:19:33 PM »
I always leave them down.

Lolli

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 20:26:26 PM »
Well I never! I hadn't ever considered this before and I always leave mine up.

You learn something new every day!

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 22:37:14 PM »
Well I never! I hadn't ever considered this before and I always leave mine up.

You learn something new every day!
Me too also
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Arrrghhhh...I always thought "up" was less stressful for the presser foot spring. Bother! :angry:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!