The Sewing Place

Which Craftsy classes have you found useful recently?

Marniesews

Which Craftsy classes have you found useful recently?
« on: May 15, 2018, 17:21:42 PM »
I spent my free access weekend to Craftsy Unlimited devoted to watching all three of Kathleen Cheetham's Custom Fitting classes. I've taken notes to remind me (sadly essential these days). I like her teaching style and clear instructions and (picking up on @elephun 's suggestion on the last thread) her rather slow speech meant I could watch it at 2x speed without too much trouble. Not so good for people like Linda Lee though, especially taking notes too.  :\ I 'know' much of what she covered but the visual experience does make it come together much better and I won't need to scour the books in the same way everytime I come across a problem in the future I don't think.

I watched Jenny Rushmore's FBA class during the previous free weekend and that was useful as she discussed altering stretch/knit patterns specifically. Kathleen didn't mention knits specifically although alterations for patterns without darts were included. Jenny's was very watchable but the flat pattern quality wasn't as good as Kathleen's imo.

What about you?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

Re: Which Craftsy classes have you found useful recently?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 20:30:49 PM »
In March they did a 14 day membership for $1 US and as it was a full membership I downloaded class materials from quite a few classes, more than I could really watch in my free time those 2 weeks. I figured I could look them over to see if I liked what was happening in the class, and a lot were recipes. For the cooking classes I just watched the segment that pertained to the recipes I wanted to try first.

This weekend it was streaming only, so I was glad I had access to the materials. I reviewed Strip Your Stash from Nancy Smith, on strip piecing quilts and watched almost all of a Pet Portrait class from Pat Weaver, both of which I highly recommend. I watched part of Stitch and Slash by Carol Ann Waugh, which is very comprehensive. I also watched a bit of Natalie Chanin's new Embroidery Class but could not stay awake. Not boring; she has such a soothing voice she always puts me to sleep.  |O

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

elephun

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 21:17:16 PM »
I rewatched a couple of Kathleen Cheetham's fitting classes over this free weekend, too. I had watched them a couple of years ago. 2x speed, FTW!

Over the weekend, I also watched The New Embroidery: Simple Geometry, Beautiful Stitches with Natalie Chanin & The School of Making. I thought that class was good. Though the content (embroidery/hand stitches) isn't new to me, I like how Natalie makes nice even hand stitching look achievable and relaxing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 21:23:41 PM »
There are two that I’ve found invaluable Alison Smith’s Structure and Shape, which is tailoring and Judy Jackson’s Customise your Dress-form

Making my own dress-form has been the best thing I’ve ever done and so invaluable. This course has paid for it’s self over and over. The Alison Smith I believe was  £5 with a coupon.
Procrastination get behind me

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 21:33:30 PM »
@elephun I really enjoy Natalie Chanin too. As you say, not new to me either but the cool calculated methods with laid back approach she uses are so pleasant and refreshing. Later in the year I'll do a month or two of Craftsy Unlimited when OH will be out of town working during the week. I'll take my time watching this then. Meanwhile I did watch her previous embellishment class and have all the downloads from it. I really need to prep up a little kit to play with her techniques while I'm waiting at various medical appointments. Or take up crochet, mainly potholders. That seems very portable to me.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.