The Sewing Place

Dealing with clients who don't turn up for booked appointments

UttaRetch

Re: Dealing with clients who don't turn up for booked appointments
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 17:24:32 PM »
That's bad enough, but I was thinking of a bricks and mortar shop full of expensive stock.  Imagine if it was a bridal boutique or fabric shop. :o

Kwaaked

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 22:32:29 PM »
It is a fine line, really.

My business plan reads like this for custom work:

1.  All first time clients for custom work must make appointments in person during normal business hours and will pay a $25 non-refundable fee where they receive a pamphlet describing what to expect, what to bring, rush fees, etc.  The fee is applied to work, or kept as a consultation/cancellation fee if no show or no work.  They sign a fee acknowledgement when making the appointment that outlines all of this.

2.  Return customers do not need to make appointments in person, but will be subject to missed appointment fees if no notice is given, added to the final bill. 

3.  Missed appointments without notice is subject to refusal of work; present and future.

For alterations:

I don't charge for appointments, because I don't really require an appointment.  If a garment needs special work (basically not needed hemmed) or multiple garments, I recommend one and may schedule one when the items are dropped off.  I also have /days hours specifically for alteration needs, appointments are necessary for times outside of those posted and subject to custom work policies.

For stylist services:

1.  Appointments must be made in person and the non-refundable appointment fee of $50 is required at the time of the booking.  Another fee acknowledgement is signed at that time, and another list of items to bring/research/pamphlet is given at that time.   

2.  Returning customers must follow styling policies, no exceptions.

3.  The fee will cover the initial 30 minute appointment and the following hour consult.  A fee schedule is available for further services is available for additional work.  (And I charge by the hour for what I do, but I'll go to their home, shopping, etc.)

Bloobell

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 18:00:18 PM »
Interesting. I don't do the styling stuff, but I can see that you'd definitely want your time paying for with that. Otherwise, it'd be a free service as you're not making what they buy!

I think this would work superbly if I had premises separate from my home, and was only there during "normal hours", but I don't.

I really do not want people turning up in person, knocking on my door at all hours, to book appointments or worse, "I'll just pop in and get it done right now". I get that already with some villagers, but most folks phone me and ask first.

I need to rent a shop, don't I? With fixed opening hours and an answering machine. It's a pity I can't afford  it.

BrendaP

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 18:50:19 PM »
How about a business phone which you switch off/recorded message only outside of "normal working hours" and keep your main phone for friends/family/domestic use.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »
Styling is a service different then sewing.   I have different packages, this particular one is basically just a styling overview.  Colors, body shape, hair styles...and figuring out what your style is already and what you want to look like and marrying that together to make you look your best.   I also have personal shopping, going to your home and packages that include tailoring...and the cost goes up from that initial fee.  It's not exactly just a "Oh hey you're a pear, and you need a fit and flare dress."  It's more like, "Here's your measurements, and we can see that you have such a tiny waist in the numbers.  Looking at the pictures we took, you can see where when we accent it, it draws attention to how lovely your figure is, but it needs to be balanced to bring out how tiny that waist really is."  with examples of clothes that fit into their style already, just updated and more chic then perhaps they are wearing right now.

And I point out that most higher end department stores offer personal shopping and alterations done on site if needed.  I also have done it for personal styling boxes to help them figure out why something works or doesn't work and help them make those choices have a better box.

It's just a different skill set then sewing, but kind of goes in with the alteration/design side. 

As to doing it from your home, yes I understand not wanting people to just show up and appointments are necessary for that.   You can also set aside a corner of your room for fitting, or have a screen to block off the cutting/sewing area...or just have the appointment in a different room all together.  If they don't make the appointment then it's no great loss in your time, which was kind of my awkward way of pointing it out before.

There are also programs that you can get that email/text/call reminders for appointments and you can make a reply necessary to keep it.  While they do cost, you can also schedule part of your time to do it yourself.  When I did my apprenticeship, I found that it didn't matter which option was used by the tailor I worked for...paying someone else to do it or the company...but a text worked the best.  I would go via pay, but only because I'd get the reply to confirm appointment and I hate my phone (doesn't matter if it's text or voice, lol).  My drawback to it is that I use an actual agenda/diary for appointments and I'd have to put them into an online calendar to make it work. 

But I did bring this up with a friend of mine who does appointment only special occasion work (she is no longer working from home, but did when she started).  We have different business models to begin with, and she said that on her website she mentioned the cancellation fee on the FAQ, appointment page and booking page and paid for booking software where she grabs the credit card information.  There is a check box you have to accept that shows you read her policy ($50 for no show or cancel less then 3 days, the amount of time the appointment is and the fact that if you're late for it she won't be able to accommodate the time overage).  Her confirmation email also states store policies (like only 3 additional people allowed in for the appointment) and a time line of how long to expect the whole process to take and that there's at least 3 more appointments plus a way to cancel the appointment as well as her contact information.  The fee is applied to an order you make within 60 days of the missed appointment, with some restrictions, so it's basically an incentive to make it there on time.

And you do get an idea of who will no show and who won't when you're working.  Stuff like this weeds them out better.

I think there's several ways you can go about reducing no shows, regardless of if you have a stand alone shop, work from home, have appointment only based work...or a myriad of other options out there. 

Not that my opinion amounts to much, haha, but I'd leave most of it automated and pay for someone to do a website, booking program and SMS reminders.  And if I charged for missed appointments, I would go this way certainly, even though I live in a really small, rural town.  Kind of goes to the old thing of spend money to make money.  I also take myself way too seriously, lol.  It's not just sewing, it's not just an alteration, it is a lifestyle, baby.  I take the vapidness of fashion to a whole new level of insane.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »
I take the vapidness of fashion to a whole new level of insane.

:loveit: :* :loveit: :* :loveit:
What a marvelous line! I'm borrowing stealing it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bloobell

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
I'll look into an automated service, Kwaaked, thank you for suggesting it. I didn't know such things existed. I do text my clients about their appointments, to remind them, but some still just ignore me. I like the idea of online booking, with an automatic fee for non-appearances built in along with the terms and conditions etc. Brilliant. I'll look into that, thanks!

mammafairy

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 15:38:39 PM »
I also run an appointment based business. Yes, we get no shows relatively often. Usually these are the folk who will not need to pay, and therefore do not value the service. They think' It is free to me, therefore if I fail to turn up, no-one loses'.

WRONG!

that is an appointment I could have given to someone else, and if they do not show up it costs me a significant sum.

Even more frustrating, I am not permitted to charge a deposit for some of these, 'in case it stops them coming'.
(NHS...)