The Sewing Place

Curtain making

Mr Twingo

Re: Curtain making
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 22:47:30 PM »
I confess to being slightly envious at the space you must have available for laying out the fabric. This week I was making curtains for our bedroom, and the lack of space made it exceedingly difficult to complete the job. Got there is the end, though, and the wife is delighted with the end result

Are you using a dedicated blind hemmer?

Nicola1968

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
I'm using the dining table!  Its not easy, our dining room already has far too much stuff in it as it also doubles as toy storage, the table isn't wide enough and there's barely room to walk round it.  Its also too low which I think has contributed to my crippling back pain by the end of the week.

I'm not using a blind hemmer - all hems are hand sewn, the only machining is the width joining and the hem on the lining.

Nik

I confess to being slightly envious at the space you must have available for laying out the fabric. This week I was making curtains for our bedroom, and the lack of space made it exceedingly difficult to complete the job. Got there is the end, though, and the wife is delighted with the end result

Are you using a dedicated blind hemmer?

Yellowfeather

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 18:31:56 PM »
That must be really tough for you Nik!  I work for a shop making curtains, and we have a large table approx 3.5 metres by about 2 metres, and even then sometimes it is still not big enough.  I hope you are managing with what space you have, It is lovely that you have a new career.
xx

Nicola1968

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
@Yellowfeather, its not the easiest way to work and I'm hoping to get considerably more space at some point soon.  I can't imagine the luxury of having a table that size - magnificent - I'm getting very adept at rolling up curtains :D

Nik

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
Nicola, Well done on finishing your first paying job!  The first triple pleated curtains I did, were done completely by had - except joining and hemming, and it was soooo painful and time consuming.

I have to say, a Singer 201 may be the answer to your prayers - buttonholes are amazing.  They are not that expensive either.

Hope your next commission is easier!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
WooHoo!
Congratulations on your first pay packet. (Ijust sold some stuff yesterday and it's a great feeling!!).
My curtain lady 'Barbara curtains', as she's called in my phone, had her huuuuge dining room completely set up for making and her BIL made her a giant folding surface for her table which she had covered in a big thick wad of stuff (?) and topped with a cotton sheet! He is a fab carpenter and used counter top hinges. It still took two of them to shift it but she had an almost permanent work surface and if required, a dining room table.
Continued success in your new venture.  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
When DD started making curtains she had to push all the furniture back and worked on the floor with a clean sheet spread over the carpet.  She's now got a proper workroom (on the back of their garage so she does actually "go to work" by walking the length of her garden.  She has a large cutting out table, made by her husband, which is covered with wadding/bump and topped with calico stretched out so that pins can be poked into it.  Her main machine is an industrial Singer, bought second hand 25 years when she was just 16.  It does straight and zig-zag but nothing else.  "The best £100 pounds I ever spent"  She also has a Juki overlocker, and an iron with a 5m cord.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.