The Sewing Place

Ikea - sewing machine table?

Sewbee

Re: Ikea - sewing machine table?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 22:11:34 PM »
I don't mind assembling flatpack furniture, but the bigger items require two people.  My sister and me put together this

IKEA sideboard.

Good grief! You're a pro at this! Good job!

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 22:36:17 PM »
In the past, I have put wardrobes together on my own - it was interesting when it came to the stand it up bit...

Did that with Mum once and promptly after finishing building it we snapped the leg off.

It's still in that room over a decade later, immoveable, carefully placed on one detached leg.

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 22:37:14 PM »
In the past, I have put wardrobes together on my own - it was interesting when it came to the stand it up bit...
That brings back memories. I have three Billy bookcases, with doors and put them together myself.
The two smaller ones were fine, but the tall one was 'interesting'.

Wouldn't even consider doing it now.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
My sewing table seems to have magically appeared for free - there is a 1.8 metre length of worktop left over from the new kitchen, just needs some legs  0_0

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
Ideal!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »
My sewing table seems to have magically appeared for free - there is a 1.8 metre length of worktop left over from the new kitchen, just needs some legs  0_0

You can buy legs for worktops in B&Q, Ikea probably does them as well.  Worktop height is great for cutting out, much better for the back.

maliw

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »
I was in Ikea last weekend and I was surprised to see a designated 'sewing' set up. However there were  wooden shelves which I'm sure have been on sale for years  more as storage in a garage/ utility area. I didn't take a good look as there wasn't anything I needed. My sewing table is an Ikea pine desk that I bought 20+years ago. It's still going strong and isn't too battered.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 16:27:54 PM »
You can buy legs for worktops in B&Q, Ikea probably does them as well.  Worktop height is great for cutting out, much better for the back.
Thanks, I'll have a look in B&Q, didn't think of them, doh!  This bit of worktop will be desk height for sewing machines, as you may have noticed a rather large island unit has just been put in as part of my new kitchen - mainly for cutting out  0_0

Morgan

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 13:05:59 PM »
a folding table example

A couple of these adjustable IKEA tables are in use in my sewing space.
Mostly they are pushed together and I adore having the table space for pattern drafting, cutting and sewing all in one place.
An inexpensive and easily moveable solo solution as the sewing space is up 2 flights of stairs.

When the sewing space was on the first floor and before that on the ground floor, two Horn cabinets were ideal (and I used the island unit in the kitchen for cutting out).  It's astonishing how much stuff could be stored in those Horn Cabinets.  (sold one and going to list the other for sale soon)

This looks like a terrific hideaway solution for a multi-use room
https://www.gumtree.com/p/arts-crafts/facade-sewing-cabinet./1279052450

Vegegrow

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 13:43:46 PM »
That Gumtree cabinet is rather lovely Morgan .. My sewing room stuff is limited to flat pack and flat pack that will go up a  semi circular staircase  that is rather narrow.. its a very old house..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 14:23:52 PM »
a folding table example

My improvised cutting table are

a couple of wallpaper pasting tables.  They give a generous 6ft x 5ft cutting area, but my back and sciatic nerves really feel it after only just a short spell.

Homebase sell this

folding table and a pair would make an big cutting area, but they would be too low.  However, if you had a big enough room, they could stand on a built up platform made from decking.  This all begins to sound a bit expensive.

Ellabella

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 16:48:51 PM »
I have the folding table and to get it to the right height I put some bed raisers under each leg.

The look a little like upturned plant pots with a depression in the top for the leg.  Just the right height for me and only £2 from the local charity shop.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 18:22:36 PM »
I have the folding table and to get it to the right height I put some bed raisers under each leg.

The look a little like upturned plant pots with a depression in the top for the leg.  Just the right height for me and only £2 from the local charity shop.
I use those under the legs of my dining table at the moment for cutting out, so much better when it's higher.

poptart

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
I like "real wood" that lasts but it seems it doesn't exist these days for sewing room furniture. I am sure it could be handmade but at a prohibitive cost. So there's Ikea . . .

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/malm-desk-with-pull-out-panel-white-art-70214192/
Hi Sewbee, did you get one of the Malm desks in the end? I'm looking at getting one and wondered what you thought of it (or anyone else who has one).