The Sewing Place

Help with raffia skirt

sewmuchmore

Help with raffia skirt
« on: May 15, 2018, 18:21:21 PM »
This is what the Diva needs for her next exam. I am ok with everything apart from the grass skirt. I was hoping to make it out of something that will wash but the only raffia i can find is the paper stuff. Has anyone any ideas? I did also consider fringing but not sure that would look ok.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

wrenkins

Re: Help with raffia skirt
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 18:48:05 PM »
You used to be able to get nylon/raffia woven sand bags. You can sew them in place and then fray them. I've made a costume or two  :ninja: but I've no idea if you can still get them.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Twan

Re: Help with raffia skirt
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 20:35:27 PM »
You could get a lycra (or other knitted fabric might work too) and cut it into fine strips. Get a lightweight one as it could get heavy otherwise. They give a nice effect and won't fray :)

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.