The Sewing Place

Sticking pdf patterns together - help!

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Sticking pdf patterns together - help!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 18:59:07 PM »
I'm not using scissors for all those sheets, my hands won't like it!  And I can't cut straight. :o
That corner method looks interesting, but my pieces don't have any corners marked.

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 20:53:05 PM »
I don't tape the sheets together.  I trace them one row at a time matching up the registration marks.  I've only done tops with pdf patterns so nothing huge.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pineau

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 15:14:31 PM »
Another glue sticker here.  Plus a 'cut as you go' convert. Print in greyscale and use a 'light' setting if you can to save ink.

No-one's mentioned the actual paper you use I don't think.  Personally I reuse anything that's been printed one side only.  Taking up sewing again has finally seen off the huge pile of scrap paper I've accumulated.  So my PDF patterns are a glorious mishmash of paper in all colours and when I turn the pieces over I am reminded (as I'm just about to jack in work) I will never again have to come home from an event with 60 sheets of peach coloured A4 containing feedback forms from social workers in Liverpool or nurses in Port Talbot about what's wrong with what I've just presented to them ...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 19:39:07 PM »
The new paper cutter was brilliant, and meant I could do a few sheets at a time.  I've still not taped any together though, been busy today.

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 20:21:49 PM »
I cut as I go and agree that it's loads easier than sticking the whole thing togther cirst. I did a Stylearc coat recently and it was very easy.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 21:25:34 PM »
I don't use pdfs much but I don't tape the sheets together at all.  I trace them a row at a time lining up the registration marks as I do each sheet.
Life's too short for ironing.

Clareew

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 21:37:40 PM »
I love PDFs especially ones with layers which mean you only print the sizes you need. 
I use tape (usually Magic) I tape them together on the patio door with the light shining through.  I only trim the bits where a pattern line crosses.

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 22:06:59 PM »
Apologies if this method has already been mentioned (I've avoided pdfs for anything bigger tha 4 sheets of A4) but I happened to see this on a group post today. It does say there are cons in the method to balance against the speed benefits so I leave you to ponder the options.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 22:24:12 PM »
As you may have realised, I'm still managing very successfully to avoid actually sticking this together  :S

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
I've only had to do this twice, first time I just gave up the ghost and got a local printer to do it for £15.  Second time I didn't even think about it and went to the printer recommended by Fran.  I think it cost £9 but there were  3 sheets.

https://printyourpattern.com

Life is too short for me waste a whole day sticking my fingers together even if it costs more.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
tape, a row at a time, cut away excess paper as you go.

They really don't take THAT long, and considering the amount of faff most of you are wiling to put into bloody tracing, what's the issue?
I don't find glue works well- as soon as it dries out, the paper comes apart
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »
Trace patterns?  Hahahahaha  0_0  Not bloody likely!  They last plenty long enough to make a few lots of garments from each  :)
I will do this, I just have other things on the machine at the moment, and I'm not sure what fabric I want to use yet.  I do like the idea of cut away excess when you've taped each row, thanks DF.

DementedFairy

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
  I do like the idea of cut away excess when you've taped each row, thanks DF.

I also separate the pattern pieces as I tape.  Making those entire rows match up is insane- unless you spend half the day with a set square and spirit level, there's going to be accumulated error.  Even a really big PDF can be taped together pretty sharpish.  I've tried various methods of trimming them, including the dreaded rotary cutters, but now I just kack excess off only where it actually goes across pattern pieces and leave the rest.  It doesn't have to be as precise as most people think- this ain't quilting thank gawd lol
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
Yes I put pattern pieces together and cut as I go and I never try to stick the whole thing together before cutting. A Stylearc pattern I did that way recently came together very quickly.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewingsue

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 19:00:01 PM »
45 pages!? Seriously??
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.