The Sewing Place

Invisible zipper question

b15erk

Invisible zipper question
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
On the last lap with Theo's Christening Toile, and it has gone together nicely.

Just a small problem with the invisible zipper.  It went in fine, but I had some trouble zipping it up.  It's twill weight fabric I'm using, and also the zip goes over piping.  I fixed it by sewing slightly further away from the zipper teeth, but this makes it look not quite so 'invisible'.

The 'proper fabric is about the same weight, so I know I'll probably have the same problem.

Any help out there? Please .....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewsuzie

Re: Invisible zipper question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 14:33:43 PM »
If the piping is in a seam that the zip goes over, it's best to trim the cord that's inside the piping back, to just before the zip teeth and just have the piping fabric set under the zip. Also helps to trim back the little square of excess seam allowance on the inside, once the zip is in. Reduces any bulk.
Hope that helps, and all goes well with the 'proper' one  :)

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 14:45:52 PM »
Thank you Suzie!  I'm not too bothered with this one, but I do want it right for the 'proper' one.

Just finished it ready for trying on tomorrow, so, fingers crossed!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 17:17:43 PM »
invisible zips, more trouble than they're worth
what's wrong with good old 'normal' zips?
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
I love invisible zips DF - I guess it's just horses for courses.  I love it that you can get an almost un-interrupted pattern on your project.

Not that I use zips much, but this particular romper has you use one, and DD reckons it's easier than snaps.

Jessie