The Sewing Place

Latest rhythmic gymnastics leotard project

Alangus

Latest rhythmic gymnastics leotard project
« on: May 16, 2018, 15:14:04 PM »
I recently finished this leotard for rhythmic gymnastics. It has about 300 separate fabric and lace pieces - main pattern pieces and lots of leaves and petals. I used acid dye and jacquard paints to make most of the petals and dye some of the fabrics. It was a lovely project to work on. However there are some things Id like to change but it but its not something you can unpick very easily to alter!! Pics in the attachments.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 15:18:52 PM by Alangus »

Catllar

Re: Latest rhythmic gymnastics leotard project
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 20:50:42 PM »
Gorgeous - labour of love! <3 <3
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 22:44:39 PM »
That's very intricate.
I've never really thought about leotards before but I wouldn't have expected them to be so involved.
It looks lovely.

Pinkstar

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 23:05:37 PM »
Work of art! you must be so proud of it.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:02:38 AM »
Wonderful embellishment!  :D

When I look at the detail my fingers start to cramp at the very thought! Perhaps one day I'll try as a small detail…
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:44:05 AM »
Wow but 300 pieces  :S :S I'm impressed.

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:58:17 AM »
WOW!
and stitched to a garment that has to move and stretch
Respect
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

eclectic

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 15:11:09 PM »
Alangus, that is fabulous! I love the colour and all the details. Im curious as to how long did it take you to make up? The dying must have added in a fair amount of time ..

Twan

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 23:40:33 PM »
Stunning work! Love the colours and gradients in it.
Jacquard is amazing to work with.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 18:34:13 PM »
Wow!! That is just fabulous!!! And what a lucky gymnast to be wearing something so stunning.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 20:30:22 PM »
Stunning!  you must have a lot of patience!!!

Alangus

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
Thanks for your nice comments, its always good to talk to other people who know how long things take to make!

@eclectic I didn't time it because it was not a commission but I think it took about 60 hours - for the measuring, pattern making, fittings, dyeing, sewing, painting, embellishing. I had to do various batches of dyeing because some was nylon and some polyester and I wanted various different colours and shades. Acid dyeing nylon is quite fast if its only small quantities of fabric. The thing that took longest was just working out where to put all the bits and sewing them together.

I've only made about 20 competition leotards (so not 100s) but I think that between 25 and 60 hours is a good estimate depending on how elaborate the costume is and whether you need to draft a pattern etc. I'm not including in that estimate the amount of time I spend making sample sections and strips.

@Twan - yes Jacquard paints are lovley, I like the dye-na-flow. I like the dyes from Kemtex as its a good price and they give great advice but Jacquard do have a lovley range. I find that the paint tends to rub off - which I suppose is to be expected with a dance or gym costume - how do you find them?  I try to use acid dyes (on nylon lycra and mesh) when I can because the colour is deep and rich, but the dye can run when the fabric is washed so that can present issues with dyeback onto pale areas. I'd be interested to compare with what other people do.

@Marniesews  - hand cramp - that made me laugh, I got it last week removing crystals and unpicking another costume. Remember getting it at school during exams!

Al

eclectic

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
Thanks @Alangus for your sharing your answer ... eeek... 60hrs! wish I hadn't asked the question  :[ I dare not work out how long outfits take me for that exact reason ... one can never charge for the amount of time and work we put into the costumes ... still for me when a dancer or gymnast puts on their item, their joy is priceless and makes it all worthwhile ...
I too am interested in the hearing what others have to say about the dying .. I have been too nervous to try it for some of the reasons you mentioned ... perhaps someone out there has a secret to share ... 
I too spend ages working out placements and always get frustrated with myself for 'faffing' so it is comforting to hear I am not alone ...