The Sewing Place

Do we like this?

Samantha

Re: Do we like this?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 15:33:06 PM »
Not for me, looks like it would accentuate my hips and bum.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 15:51:26 PM »
I was scrolling down to say exactly what @Samantha said.  It wouldn't be for me.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 15:55:19 PM »
I do like it.  I'm very tempted.  The inset bits would have to hit at exactly the right place though.  Peplums generally suit me even though I really don't want my hips accentuated.  If the gathers are at the right level they make me look as though I go in further at the waist, and that i really can do with!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 16:20:25 PM »
I don't like it on the bigger girls, but as Acorn says it does look as though it accentuates the waist, and as I have a flat bum I could take the extra flounce there. 

Maybe.   -<
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 16:28:02 PM »
It seems to me that the back waist line is hitting too low on the larger ladies, which is doing them no favours.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 17:18:27 PM »
It certainly wouldn’t do me any favours!

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 17:59:42 PM »
I like it. Would consider it.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Missie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 18:27:53 PM »
Not for me.  My backside doesn't need any extra help in the adding curves department!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 18:30:35 PM »
In a word, NO. I like the flouncy back side, though I understand that some don't want any extra fabric there. But take a good luck at the front. That flat center panel swings away from the body on most of them giving a most unflattering IMO look. I have a belly and get enough "is she pregnant, at her AGE ?" stares now. It was cute on the little girls and in the staged pictures where they have carefully folded the excess on that panel behind it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 21:21:40 PM »
It only looks good on the

child.

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 22:00:55 PM »
It's cute but looks off to me.  Like it would hit at the most unflattering point on my body ever.  A few inches to cover the stomach and backside and altering the peplum line would do wonders for the larger ladies.

To me this also skews a little young...not exactly juvenile but seems much younger then I wear and I would be afraid of a bit of mutton wear lamb-ness with it.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 22:13:18 PM »
Actually the more I look at it the more I like it. Would like to see some reviews tbough. Always a bit nervous of the drafting in indie patterns unless they are recommended.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 16:51:40 PM »
I've had a day to myself, found a bit of stretchy fabric in the stash and made this!
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It would of course look better with black or red trousers rather than the peachy coloured crops I happen to be wearing today.

It was easy to make with an overlocker; just a tee shirt with a fancy ruffle sewn to the back. There's not much shaping to it, no darts in the pattern, it relies on the stretch of the fabric to fit.  However, once sewn I decided that a bit of shaping would improve it so I added a couple of vertical bust darts which end at waist level and make small pleats.  That does improve the look at the front.

The pattern is multi-sized, 16 sizes from 28.5" - 55.5" bust.  I made size 12, 36.5"-37" bust. 

Pattern markings are minimal - just one notch at the top of the sleeve to mark where it joins the shoulder seam (the sleeves are same front and back, but I've come across that before in stretchy tee shirt patterns.  Instructions are minimal - no mention of taping the shoulder seams or pressing. 

As for the fabric requirements - it tells you separately for each main piece and gives the impression that about 3.5m of 60" wide is required, when actually 2m was more than enough.  Just fold the fabric off centre so that it's wide enough for the semi-circle skirt ruffles and it leaves plenty of width for the other pieces.  The fabric layout diagram is rather odd too - it looks as though you are supposed to cut one skirt ruffle out of the other one :S
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The verdict - yes I quite like it 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 17:00:11 PM »
@BrendaP I like yours, but why is that so much better then the brand's page offering?  The sides aren't sticking out to the front, it hits at a nice point on you (even if it is the same, it doesn't look the same).

I like it, and I liked the pattern...but had they of shown me your version I'd of been all over it.  What is the difference?