The Sewing Place

Fabric search?

Surest1tch

Fabric search?
« on: May 16, 2018, 17:25:05 PM »
I'm trying to track down a type of fabric I used to use many years ago but can I heck as remember what it's called.  It looks a lot like moss crepe but it's a lot thicker and you can't see through it, I just used to refer to it as crepe in the 60's but there are so many kinds now and I've sent for sample after sample I'm sick of seeing them!
Does anyone know what it is or can help please?

Efemera

Re: Fabric search?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 18:34:25 PM »
Would it be wool crepe?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 18:43:37 PM »
Double crepe?
I know what you mean about crepe fabric, i have recently bought 2 so called crepe fabrics on line but when they arrived they were more like chiffon.
I do have a piece of heavy double crepe in a sort of bluey/grey colour (washed) 2 metres i think, that i got from my local shop. What are you making? Would my piece be any good to you? I could send you a sample if you want.

Amended: you don't mean crimplene do you?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 20:08:39 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 20:06:42 PM »
@Efemera, it definitely wasn't wool, I'm allergic to it, but thanks.
@sewmuchmore I want to make a tunic type v neck top, a sample would be brilliant please if you are sure you're not going to use it. I'll pm you. Thank you.
P.S. No it's definitely not crimpolene, that stuffs dreadful.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 20:25:05 PM by Surest1tch »

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 21:44:42 PM »
I was thinking you may be thinking of double crepe too. I have some in quite a few plain colours in my stash, so am more than happy to send you some samples if it helps.

I am off to the Post office around lunchtime tomorrow so pm me your address and I will send them tomorrow. Think the fabric is polyester.

lizzy

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 22:30:08 PM »
@Lizzy777
Thanks so much for the offer but it's definitely not double crepe.  A 2mt length of what was supposed to be double moss crepe arrived this morning and it's so sheer it's almost like a thin voile  :'(.

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 22:35:02 PM »
@Lizzy777
Thanks so much for the offer but it's definitely not double crepe.  A 2mt length of what was supposed to be double moss crepe arrived this morning and it's so sheer it's almost like a thin voile  :'(.

Mine isn't sheer at all. It is nothing like that. I'm not selling it!  I was just offering to send you some samples(at my own expense)  to show you what a proper double crepe in polyester is like and it certainly isn't sheer or thin like a thin voile. We aren't talking about the same fabric here, at all, as this is a totally different weight.

Good luck with your search but the offer of having some samples still remains.

lizzy
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 22:36:39 PM by Lizzy777 »

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 22:41:35 PM »
Thanks Lizzy, I'll try and get a photo of what they sent me and let you see how sheer it is.  It came from Minerva and was written up as heavy double moss crepe, I've definitely fallen out with them for now.

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 22:58:02 PM »
Thanks Lizzy, I'll try and get a photo of what they sent me and let you see how sheer it is.  It came from Minerva and was written up as heavy double moss crepe, I've definitely fallen out with them for now.

I think the term moss crepe is not equal everywhere. Some places refer to it as fine and lightweight and others as medium.

Mine isn't classed as moss crepe but it has that texture that you were referring too and it is classed as double crepe.
But it is medium weight and ideal for dresses, tunics, skirts etc. I'm not a great fan of polyester but I decided to buy as the prices were extremely good and the colours fashionable too. Nice feel to the fabric as well.

I did buy some fabric recently, from a site that was recommended on the forum. The site was more expensive than i normally would pay but one of the fabrics I got was so thin, that I just had to send it straight back as it didn't appear to be what I thought it would when I saw it on site. I'm glad I paid with Paypal. No quibbles on refunds!

lizzy

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
This is were my so called crepe came from, again described as medium weight but like chiffon, it went straight back.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Starryfish

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 13:23:14 PM »
Try Fabric Godmother, she has lots of crepe and sends samples.  http://www.fabricgodmother.co.uk/search.php?Search=&search_query=crepe

I bought some and made a nice pair of trousers with it, it feels lovely on and doesn't need much pressing.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 17:05:14 PM »
This is what they are classing as heavy suiting/dress weight moss crepe.  I hope it shows properly, I had to take my son to the dentist urgently due to an abcess this afternoon so the best of the light had gone when I got back but you can clearly see my hand through it.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »
Fabric land has what is described as moss crepe suiting fabric, but moss crepe looks like this

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »
Crepe is a very general term for any fabric with a crinkly surface - achieved by a combination of the way it's woven, with some threads having floats of 3 or 4 threads  instead of the plain one-over, one-under weave, or can be combined with a satin weave on the other side.  The threads from which crepe is woven are highly twisted which makes them want to curl up and twist back in the other direction.

It can be made of any fibre type, and any weight, so georgette is a very lightweight crepe, crepe de chine (any fibre, not just silk) is light weightcrepe backed satin in usually mid range, and I think that triple crepe is the heaviest.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzy777

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »
This is what they are classing as heavy suiting/dress weight moss crepe.  I hope it shows properly, I had to take my son to the dentist urgently due to an abcess this afternoon so the best of the light had gone when I got back but you can clearly see my hand through it.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I agree with you, that isn't moss crepe as most people know it. It may well be a crepe of some sorts but certainly not moss crepe.I would just complain and send it back and demand your postage be paid for too! It certainly isn't suitable for heavy suiting. Think they mixed up the descriptions?

I've seen something called Rio crepe firstly on the Sewing quarter (SQ) and liked the look of that. I've sent you a link already to show pictures of it and that is more like the moss crepe a lot of us recognise. (I noticed some sites are selling a satin backed rio crepe too but thats not the one I am referring too). On the SQ, they did make an item of clothing from it (sorry but can't remember which one it was) and it will be on youtube but I can't remember the date it was on, but it was this year.

Samples of the double crepe I mentioned on their way  :)

lizzy