BrendaP
24 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: June 26, 2018, 02:02:19 AM

Look what I did with my scraps! - voting thread

Manuela

Look what I did with my scraps! - voting thread
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:07:05 AM »
This is the official thread for the 'Look what I did with my scraps!' Competition. Everybody has one vote, the vote cannot be changed. Voting starts now and lasts for 10 days.

:toast: happy voting :toast:

Entry No 1 Sandra

In a blinding flash of inspiration, I suddenly decided to play around with this....just for the fun of it.  :P

The pattern dates from 1966 and I'm making the checked suit with a sleeveless blouse. I've had the red check fabric lying around for years and the cream fabric is some Egyptian cotton scraps.

Pattern suitable for Sindy dolls....no such dolls are in this house any more, so I have my mini-mannequin to model for me.

The back of the blouse is finished off with buttons. Didn't bother with any snaps because it slides over my armless mannequin easily without the faff and bother.

Picture shows the (slightly boring) front of the blouse paired with a charming A-line skirt trimmed with ric-rac braid.

And finally...the jacket is also trimmed with ric-rac braid to match the hem of the skirt. This has a press-stud fastener at the top.

Entry No 2 Brenda P

Here are my scraps
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm going to make Simplicity 2449 view D, or something that might resemble it :S

There are some FQs in there but nothing bigger and some bits are quite small. 
There's a mix of new FQs, left over cotton dressmaking fabrics and some pieces bought from the stash left by one of the ladies at craft club.  They are mostly the ones with the bigger patterns and multiple colours which I normally find difficult to use for regular patchwork.  I might ditch one or two of them and I might find another few bits and pieces.  It will be one of those 'see how it goes' projects.

I've traced out the pattern to have the whole of the front and back, not just half to go on a fold, and I am thinking about whether to do foundaton piecing or to join strips with the overlocker.

Well, here are the photos!  I am still wearing that creation though I'm not sure if it will ever go much further than the garden!  though I might wear it to craft club for a laugh.  0_0

It's foundation pieced - and the backing fabric was way bigger than a fat quarter, but it was a scrap; taken from a large duvet back.  DD who makes curtains and soft furnishings gave me three of them.  She presumably had a job which needed the fronts to match someone's bedding.  I took out the two lightest colours from the original pile of scraps, but there are still about 50 different fabrics in there.  Because it's double throughout it is quite a substantial fabric.

I used Simplicity 2449.  In theory the bias cut folded yoke should have been enough to hold the skirt up, but I know from experience with a similar yoke in stretchy trousers that doesn't work, and anyway the piecing stopped any bias stretch, so I included an elastic waistband.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:09:53 AM by Manuela »