The Sewing Place

Fabric v patterns

b15erk

Fabric v patterns
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
I am attempting an entry into the Floral SAL, but having gone through my stash, nothing jumped out at me.  So, on my Saturday morning trip to the Fabric Store, I bought three beautiful pieces of fabric, two cotton lawn, one polyester, there are at least 7 mtrs in total for £25 – not bad.  Then, on my way home I scored a lovely piece of viscose/rayon in a lovely cream, 4mtrs for £1!

So you would think I had enough fabric?  Well, it’s all beautiful, but the poly (small pastel floral), seems a bit young for me, the brown is a double border print, so not sure if I’ll have enough for a dress (2 mtrs), the last, and most lovely, is the turquoise on dark green.  It is laid out like a double border print, but each large motif is separate.  The last two will also need washing, not just for shrinkage but for colour fastness.

I’m asking for pattern suggestions, bearing in mind the short lengths, and unusual designs. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Fabric v patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 11:37:01 AM »
Love the border prints, but I have no idea how you'd use them  0_0

*wanders off to be totally unhelpful on other threads too*

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »
Tunic?

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
A tunic would be good Ef, I'm more bothered about the layout of the fabric, which will result in short length if I use it as a border (brown).  The Green/turquoise is odder still with these large motifs arranged like a border print, but spaced along the edges.  Maybe I'll have to look for another fabric to work with them.....

I'm leaning towards the Amelia tea dress Amelia for the Pastel florals.  I do think it will look like 'mutton dressed etc', but, if it does, maybe DD would like it?  (or maybe not).

This is what happens when I think about entering anything, I get totally distracted by minutiae....  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
So sorry the only thing that springs to mind is a wrap skirt, I've got border prints in my stash too and haven't a clue what to do with them, I just liked them hoping to get inspired at a later date

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
SS, this is the problem with impulse buying beautiful border prints.... :S  What to make?

Jessie

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 13:44:55 PM »
Make a dress with the fancy fabric as the skirt, and a nice jersey top.  Easy to wear, looks like separates, shows off the print.  I like V1312 for this
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 14:43:07 PM »
So, I finally settled on the pattern I'm going to use, it's the one I chose originally 'The Amelia Tea Dress', and a similar style to the one DF suggested.

Two problems, firstly, I opened the pattern envelope to have a look at the instructions - and they aren't there!!!  Then, I looked at fabric requirements - and it's only for 60" wide fabric....

'Twasn't meant to be.... :(

Jessie

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 14:47:24 PM »
fabric requirements- meh!  THey always always always err on the side of caution, so get the pattern pieces out and go for it.  The main yardage will be the skirt in any case, and for border fabric, you want to stick to rectangles in any case.  Have a play, cut the bodice from contrast, and use whatever is left for your skirt, gathering or pleating it on.  Done
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 14:50:57 PM »
Love your 'Can do'  attitude DF!!  I will do as told, and go for it!  ;)

First iteration will be cut out today (or maybe this evening).

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 19:04:58 PM »
How wide is your fabric?

2m should be enough for a gathered skirt cut widthways and use the other side for the bodice/sleeves.  Something like this.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm wearing a border print today, which I made a couple of years ago.  I was having a nose around the local Roman Originals shop at lunchtime for ideas, the assistant, who was at school with DD1, recognised me and had a quick chat and she actually complimented me on my dress :loveit:  I told her I'd made it myself and said I was only looking for ideas today, and she said that she used to sew quite a bit and was often found looking inside garments to see how the lining was done!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 13:35:58 PM »
I was going to suggest what DG did on the brown except I'd use that mint/seafoam green in a china silk. 

The green/turquoise is easy enough for placement.  It's got 2 motifs, top and bottom, right?  Treat it as a panel and evenly distribute the large motif that way.  There should be a repeat on it and once you find that, center the front and back in the middle of a motif with equal parts to the side and it should work out ok.  Hope that made sense.

As to the floral, the fabric is fine.  It looks to be a ditsy floral and what makes it seem young is the pattern used to make the outfit.  A shirt dress or maxi wouldn't skew young, where flowy and short might.  That is just a matter of proportion and style, IMO.