The Sewing Place

Centre front question

Bodgeitandscarper

Centre front question
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
A top with no button band, just a bodged folded back facing - would you have the buttons at the centre front or the edge of right front???
I think I'm going for the edge of the front, as I shall hopefully use just fairly insignificant buttons on this one.

Is there a correct way to do it?

Ploshkin

Re: Centre front question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 13:04:56 PM »
I always do as Fran says.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 13:51:54 PM »
Buttons are placed on the CF.   vertical buttonholes along the CF AND horizontal ones start at about 3mm from the CF.  the button stand should be approximately the diameter of the button.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 14:05:41 PM »
Yes, if there is a button band it  would be central, but this doesn't have one.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 19:10:21 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the CF should still be marked on the pattern regardless of whether there is a band or a facing.    The button stand is the distance is from the CF to the edge of the garment.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 19:40:17 PM »
I don't necessarily follow patterns exactly, and having just looked at the last top I made like this, it may end up being overlapped further than the centre front anyway, a bit more asymmetry never hurt anyone  0_0

But thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts on the actual correct method  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 21:37:04 PM »
As everyone else says, the buttons should be at the centre front.  That means that both sides need to extend beyond the CF line.  The buttons (for a lady) will be on the left front and the buttonholes on the right hand side.

The only exception would be if you have loops instead of buttonholes - buttons still on CF and right front just shy of CF with loops going beyond CF.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.