The Sewing Place

Mutton Dressed??

elephun

Re: Mutton Dressed??
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 02:52:10 AM »
If you were going to worry about the concept of mutton dressed as lamb at all, and I'm not encouraging you to, I think the fabric choice can make a difference. It may make you more comfortable to consider choosing a different fabric than 15 year olds are wearing in that style of jumpsuit. Either way, using quality materials and doing a nice job of fitting yourself will go a long way to people just seeing you looking fantastic! I don't think they will see any sheep at all  ;)

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Thanks all, as usual you give honest opinions!  The reason I asked the question, is that I have a horror of people thinking I'm trying to be 18 again (shudder!), and looking age inappropriate. 

So, this is still on the list, but, I've been sidetracked by The Amelia Tea Dress, which I love.  It may go on the 'I'll make this for Christmas' list (we go away), and would probably look OK on holiday.

Now, back to the job in hand, The Amelia Tea Dress!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jen

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 20:18:37 PM »
Mini skirts apart, I don’t think there’s much ring fenced for a single age group now, leaving aside full blown weird of course.

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »
stuff I count as too young for me:
Anything very short, except for flopsing around in the summer at home
peter pan collars
little girl styling [which includes peter pan collars, puff sleeves, sashes and anything at all by bloody Tilly and her sodding buttons]

stuff I count as too old for me
*shudders* 'pussy bow' blouses [OMG I hate that name as much as 'wiggle' skirts, what's wrong with 'tie neck' and 'pencil'?]
beige
Chanel style jackets.  They will ALWAYS be too old for me, I find them very frumpy.  I know lots of folk adore them, not for me.
tweedy skirts and brogues remind me of my old headmistress
aprons ugh
C'est moi!

Bowerbird

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
@DementedFairy I'm not seeing anything bunting related on that list-does that mean you've changed your mind?  :devil:

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »
I don't actually know anyone who wears the poxy stuff, so I excluded it. *gag*
C'est moi!

Bowerbird

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
I don't actually know anyone who wears the poxy stuff, so I excluded it. *gag*

We all know someone who'd like this bunting dress

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »
I've just been sick
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
I can't do:

mini skirts because of my fat knees;
bare legs because of blotchy skin;
anything boxy unless I want to look like a brick sh!thouse;
stretch to fit as all my rolls and flab will be on show; or
high necks, but I sometimes break the rule.

Tamnymore

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »
OMG Fran. That's me! I'm your aunt's eccentric friend. No. Only joking!  ;)  :devil:

Too short and too tight is the clue there I think. I also wouldn't wear girly stuff a la Tilly.... or bunting ?!?  :S Just seen the bunting dress. Shall we get one for DF for her next birthday?

I'll always be too young for the M&S Classic collection look although TBF my mum found their trousers handy in her later years. I'll never be too old to wear things with zebras, giraffes, fish, cats, equations, rocket ships and astronauts on the fabric (although maybe not all of these at the same time but I do have a top with equations, rockets and astronauts on). And I will never be too old to wear Doc Martens, in fact I've only properly grown into wearing them in the last ten years or so.  :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:56:07 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 13:10:28 PM »

I'll always be too young for the M&S Classic collection look although TBF my mum found their trousers handy in her later years. I'll never be too old to wear things with zebras, giraffes, fish, cats, equations, rocket ships and astronauts on the fabric (although maybe not all of these at the same time but I do have a top with equations, rockets and astronauts on). And I will never be too old to wear Doc Martens, in fact I've only properly grown into wearing them in the last ten years or so.  :D

Oh yesssssssss
Can you believe my doc-daughter ACTUALLY FORBADE me to wear 'any of those weird prints with parrots and zebras on'
Cheek
just wait
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 23:02:12 PM »
Does this mean that we are going to see a MOB dressed in parrot fabric?   0_0 :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 23:21:39 PM »
Too short and too tight is the clue there I think.

Spot on!

There is nothing wrong with wearing bold colours and striking prints at any age, you just need to know what does or doesn't suit you.  Personally I don't go for straight/pencil skirts as I think they emphasise a big tummy and I prefer a bit of sleeve rather than sleevless, though there's nothing wrong with little puff sleeves if they go with the rest of the garment.

As for shoes; I hope I'm never old enough to wear Doc Martins!  I do have a pair of walking boots for appropriate situations and trainers with jeans are OK, but for general day wear, never!  I'd love to still wear very high heels but nowadays they are cramp inducing so medium to low it has to be. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jen

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 13:44:41 PM »
Laughing my head off at some of these comments, pussy bows, wiggle skirts and Tillyish wear  :D . I was never neat and trim enough to carry off dinky prints and doll like styles, once past the age of five that is. I’m not a fan of squeezed into fit or flaunting fleshy bits whatever the age of the wearer, but age literally adds a layer or two to the issue.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 20:32:49 PM »
I am not sure I will ever really dress ‘age appropriate’ because I do think clothes should be what the wearer wants to wear.  I always feel frumpy if I wear the kind of scarves that people wear with dresses/tops (even though I admire them on others) and polo necks.  On the few occasions I have worn them I am often asked if I have a sore throat.  I’ve always been brought up (on the Parisienne side of the family) that black goes with black and that’s it.  Although I don’t see that as an absolute rule I can’t quite bring myself to wear the working uniform (in Exeter) of black trousers with a pastel top.  I always feel confident in colour.  I don’t really wear that much black as it reminds me of my work uniform when I have to wear it.  Black combat trousers, black wicking shirt .... sometimes I look in the mirror and think I look like one of Oswald Moseley’s blackshirts! 

I’ve always given grey a bit of a wide berth too as it makes me feel a bit ‘meh’. But since turning blonde I am enjoying the wearing of a bit more silver side of grey. 

Short skirts just don’t make me feel how I want to look even though I have no hang ups about my legs.  But in the last year I have started to do more knee length (and even about an inch above) and feel fine about it.  I like to wear tights/stockings just because it makes me feel more groomed and I hate bare feet in shoes.  But I can’t say I look at other women in skirts to see if they are doing the same. 

My dress rules, and I assume I’ll take them into old age(?) are no VPL, a good bra and a big smile!  On the way home tonight a lady down the road was bringing in her shopping and told me how nice I was always dressed and how happy I seem to be.  That’s good enough for me!!