The Sewing Place

Mutton Dressed??

b15erk

Mutton Dressed??
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »
Honest answers please!  I found this New Look 6510, during my recent tidy up, and wondered if I dared make the pants version.....?

I have a feeling I should stick to the dresses....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

Re: Mutton Dressed??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 13:27:30 PM »
I found at least 3 versions of that number but only one had trousers and it was predominantly a trouser pattern so I'm still not sure if it's the one you have.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 13:41:36 PM »
It's donkeys years old, and I remember making it first time around!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 13:52:35 PM »
No such thing as "mutton dressed as lamb" these days  0_0

We all wear what we like  0_0

(Although I am confused by the younger ones wearing what my mum wore in the 60s and 70s, cos to me that's old fashioned! )

Missie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 13:54:27 PM »
that is lovely Jessie.  I'd go for it!

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 14:32:00 PM »
Looks nice, Jessie. Go for it.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

lakaribane

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 14:44:57 PM »
It's donkeys years old, and I remember making it first time around!

I wouldn't cuff them and maybe go full-length to update the style but keep the tank top/vest bodice.

lakaribane

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 14:51:03 PM »
I don't believe in the concept of "mutton dressed as lamb".

I'm afraid I do believe in it! My aunt had a...excentric friend who was opening a night club (a whole nother story!) and I am traumatized by this 50yo woman wearing a mini zebra print dress with a back mesh cutout. She had an Apple shape, flat butt and droopy breasts. Former/current Party Girl. +Good legs, though. But the rest was too short and too tight.

lakaribane

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 15:05:45 PM »
There's a difference between dressing to flatter one's parts though and dressing because one is of a certain age and only that.

My understanding of that phrase, and what I feel is illustrated by the anecdote I told, is that if you are dressing for the body you remember having and not the one you actually have now, then it's anachronistic.

Today, I would not wear bangs, oversized neon t-shirts and stripped short because that's what I wore as a teenager in the 90s.

I would wear more contemporary, grown-up versions of these things, after all, a t-shirt and shorts can't really go out of fashion, can it?

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 15:16:34 PM »
That's not one of the many patterns of that number that I found! I think it's definitely worth trying.

I will not show my arms - not good after losing so much weight, so I might consider altering it for short sleeves although that really changes the style...but if it weren't for that I could be tempted too. Give it a go,  0_0 you might be surprised just how good you feel in something a bit different such as this (as long as you're not a slave to a weak bladder).

I have some sympathies with your concerns in general although I know the others are absolutely right in principle. I often wonder about it when buying the current fashion 'thing'. Actually, that's not really true as I nearly always decide against them because what comes into fashion quickly goes out even sooner so I never buy it on that basis anyway.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 15:51:35 PM »
I hardly ever think of age as a barrier to what I wear...I like to think I wear what suits me..I try to avoid the Wallmart look!..style has no age but there again some folks have no style whatever their age.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 15:56:57 PM »
Right that's decided.  Going to give it a go.  If it looks absolutely awful, I'll pass it over to DD - or wear it in the garden.

If it's like the other stuff I'm doing, it'll be a while before it's finished.  ;)

Jessie

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 16:12:01 PM »
I'm afraid I do believe in it! My aunt had a...excentric friend who was opening a night club (a whole nother story!) and I am traumatized by this 50yo woman wearing a mini zebra print dress with a back mesh cutout. She had an Apple shape, flat butt and droopy breasts. Former/current Party Girl. +Good legs, though. But the rest was too short and too tight.

Me too, the ones that fall out out of the Iris Apfel league, now she has got style.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 16:50:49 PM »
The trousers wouldn't work for me.  With my belly, the last thing I need is a gathered waist to add emphasis. :(

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 22:55:35 PM »
So long as the mutton is nicely seasoned I still will give it a go, though I wouldn't do this, as I believe it's a jumpsuit. My bladder suggests jumpsuits with belts are no longer a good idea.  :S

I do believe in the general concept, mutton dressed as lamb, but no longer really care. To be honest I often heard Dad say to Mom something along the lines of "You're not letting her out of the house in THAT, are you?!?!?" Yes, she did, and I still will wear odd stuff. Too self conscious to dress too "normal". Have always thought people were staring at me, so, gave them a reason to look. Did wonders for my confidence level.

If you like it, make it and wear it. I occasionally make something really out there that I assume might be best suited to alone time in the house or back garden. Today I'm wearing slightly dropped crotch floral bloomer/harem type pants that are a bit too show through in sunlight. I'm comfy and they make me smile.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.