The Sewing Place

My Christmas Pouch Bag Project

b15erk

My Christmas Pouch Bag Project
« on: September 12, 2022, 14:21:35 PM »
I know I've posted about two of these bags before, but these are my Christmas Bags, and I like them so much that I would like to make a record of how I make them.

For these 4 bags, I have used two lovely 1/4 yards of fabric, a lovely rich brown, and a beautiful burgundy.  I've mixed them with my home made fabric, and managed to get three fronts out of it, by a little bit of jiggery pokery.

First job was cutting out: 4 pieces 25*15 cms main fabric, 1 piece 25*12 main fabric,  the same pieces cut out in lining.
I did muck about with the fabric to incorporate my own fabric, but the measurements stay the same.  I'll also cut out 8 pieces suitable for strap holders - I do them 1 cm wide finished.  I think I may have to buy a little more fabric as 1/4 mtr didn't leave much left... :rolleyes:

I very quickly found out that the burgundy doesn't like the iron, and there was some unpicking and replacing going on!

All told, I have managed to get 4 bags cut out, three making use of my own fabric.  After cutting out, the handmade logos were attached - I did use a spot of glue, as I had forgotten that my made fabric was prone to fray.

This is where I'm up to.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: My Christmas Pouch Bag Project
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 18:40:44 PM »
Christmas? :scream: :scream:

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 19:06:03 PM »
I know @Ohsewsimple , sad or what... Fact is, I want them out of the way before I forget how I did them! :laughing:

Memory of an earthworm me... :rolleyes:

Besides, I have a jacket, frock (for me), frock (for Lil), and a few other assorted things to make between now and then... :laughing:

Waiting for zips now.... :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 22:01:24 PM »
Oh I’ll forgive you then! :laughing:   Often I think I’ll make stuff for Xmas and then it doesn’t get done. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 10:21:12 AM »
Lucky people on your Christmas list!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 18:40:46 PM »
The zips have arrived!!  Beautiful colours - although I got a bit enthusiastic with quantities!

I may get to them on Friday as I'm putting the pockets in my jacket today, and tomorrow I do my Fairy Grandmother stint...

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 18:43:14 PM »
Ooh - I love that multi-coloured one!    :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 18:48:48 PM »
 :loveit: :loveit: :loveit: do you buy them at fixed lengths or are they on a roll?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

realale

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 18:52:16 PM »
I like!!!  :thumb:
They are lovely and should make a nice feature on your bags.
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 20:09:57 PM »
They are rather nice aren't they?  ;) :D  @Diane , you buy them by the metre,  without sliders, which is fine because I've found some nice sliders on Amazon.

I'm itching to cut them to size, and match them up to fabric, but that will have to wait until Friday... :boohoo:  I think I'll do them one at a time, and fit them between other projects.  Tbh, they do come togather very quickly.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 20:37:24 PM »
Well, I set to and cut out all my zips, and while I'm waiting for more sliders, I started on the brown bag.

It went together really welland is looking OK.  The thickness of the fabric - which is rubber backed, is causing a bit of a problem for the machine, and I may have to do a bit of hand stitching, but, so far so good, and I think it's looking OK.

I had to go to the fabric shop earlier, as I'd cut out all the bags, but completely forgotten the straps!  Sorted now, and I picked some magnetic snaps up while I was there!

Some pics

Jessie

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 18:32:47 PM »
Those zips are interesting, can I ask where you got them from?

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 19:45:20 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper , they're from the Zipper Station by the metre, you need to buy the pullers seperately, but I think they look nice.

I've not done any more today, just finished setting up the Bernina 730 to see if it will go through the thick layers any better, not sure it will, but we'll see.

Jessie

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 07:44:22 AM »
Thanks @b15erk I'll have a look at those  :)

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 10:08:48 AM »
Not much progress on this bag - although it is nearly finished, I've been struggling with the machine.  I need to sort it out, as I have at least three other bags to make, all of which will involve thick layers, and the Singer 611g just isn't up to the job.  I think the problem is, that is has a slant shank, and just not got enough ooomph to get through the layers.

I've also got a few changes in mind for the next bag.  Instead of doing the unsightly twist off the fabric with the zip, to secure it, I'm going to make stops at both ends of the zip which I think will be neater.

Off the set the treadle up when I've done a bit of paperwork.  I'll report back later...

Jessie