The Sewing Place

Swedish weaving / Huck embroidery / Sashiko

Quiltingcat

Swedish weaving / Huck embroidery / Sashiko
« on: May 23, 2018, 14:11:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have just started a new thing....after seeing it on Sewing Quarter, Huck embroidery and Sashiko.  Both of these are very addictive, I can't even put it down longer enough to eat a piece of cake......anyway has anyone had a go at huck embroidery or Sashiko? I'm very new to both of these, wondering if any of you are old hands of these and could you give me an idea of books, videos or great websites etc?? X  :meow:

Iminei

Re: Swedish weaving / Huck embroidery / Sashiko
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 14:31:36 PM »
Lowena (offline at present whilst cinderellaing for her XDIL) does a very good Sashiko.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 16:10:34 PM »
Susan Briscoe is the Queen of Sashiko and her book is the 'Ultimate Sashiko Source Book'.  She was on Sewing Quarter on 4th September last year.  You can watch the programme on YouTube if you missed it.

supergran

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 20:53:27 PM »
What's Huck embroidery?

Quiltingcat

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 21:33:13 PM »
Huck embroidery is Swedish weaving. Traditional it's done on monk cloth, but you can use aida 11 and I use pearle 5 thread. It's a way of embellishing table runners cloths, etc...you weave through the floats, to create patterns.  I know Sewing Quarter have done one program on it, I personally can only find 2 books on the subject. That's why I'm asking if anybody knows of any more. I know also there's a lot of things on Pinterest on the subject. Hope that helps x

Quiltingcat

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 21:39:29 PM »
Huck embroidery is Swedish weaving. Traditional it's done on monk cloth, but you can use aida 11 and I use pearle 5 thread. It's a way of embellishing table runners cloths, etc...you weave through the floats, to create patterns.  I know Sewing Quarter have done one program on it, I personally can only find 2 books on the subject. That's why I'm asking if anybody knows of any more. I know also there's a lot of things on Pinterest on the subject. Hope that helps x
on YouTube you can see Jennifer Taylor on Sewing Quarter. 10th April 2018 xx

Quiltingcat

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 21:42:48 PM »
Reply to Pearl...
Yes, I saw it....she's brilliant and her book is brilliant too. I've done a couple of things from the book.  But its very addictive xx

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 22:24:39 PM »

That sounds very similar to Hardanger embroidery.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Quiltingcat

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »
I've never tried hardanger before, so I don't know. I will have a look then come back to you. X

I've had a look at hardanger embroidery - I would say that the difference is you don't cut the fabric, and you are only weaving across the floats of the fabric you don't go through the holes, and you don't have any threads showing on the back of the work.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:49:22 AM by Quiltingcat »

Celia

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:51 AM »
Sounds interesting but I can’t add any more hobbies to my list :devil:   Or can I ?????. Off to check this out

Quiltingcat

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 19:52:47 PM »
Go on...be a  :devil: xxx I keep saying the same, but I love learning new things! :meow:

supergran

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 20:06:19 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Quiltingcat. I'd never heard of it before, or swedish weaving either.

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 20:46:49 PM »
There's a denim cushion cover in Quilt Now Issue 50 which gives a nod to sashiko. It's lovely and looks simple but stylish.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Puzzler

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »
Swedish weaving evokes memories of my school days. We were taught this skill and made tea towels.