The Sewing Place

Another fine mess just avoided

Gernella

Another fine mess just avoided
« on: May 24, 2018, 16:10:44 PM »
I completed by moto jacket a few weeks ago bar the snaps, two on either side.  Being a bit nervous because it was the first time I'd done them I had waited until all my ducks were in a row and DH out of the way (he tries and helps and I wanted to do it myself).  Main worry was the fabric where the snaps were had some decent interfacing and fabric a good weight, so I knew that might be a problem.

Anyway the sample was fine but needed some hard knocking.  Got the first side on top done, getting anxious because it really did need brute force. Perfect, feeling much better I did the second hole, perfect.  Just ready to put the top snap on I dropped the top one onto the floor, picked it up and  stared a bit more closely at my hole. I'd put the hole on the flaming collar .  A bit of swearing, not much considering, I went through my options.  First thought, take the top side of the collar off, replace and stitch the back hole up.  Went down to make a cup of coffee and had a rethink.  All the jackets I've seen recently have  two snaps each side, collar and the facing piece.  So gone with another one on the collar, which didn't take as much hammering.

I'm relieved but left it for another day for the bottom snaps.  I hate doing stuff when I've been flustered.  The tool I got with the first set of snaps has split open on one side, which is just as well I got one of the pyramid tools and the plier set (that made a lovely hole with no messing).

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

Re: Another fine mess just avoided
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 16:28:42 PM »
Phew.

Pineau

Re: Another fine mess just avoided
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 19:34:59 PM »
Good work!  I had a coffee-fuelled morning of contemplation myself when I'd finished my moto jacket (Style Arc Ziggi) about how to do the snaps.  In the end i chickened out and left them off altogether, and until I read this I'd completely forgotten they were ever an option, since the jacket looks just fine (to me) without them.

If I ever make another one - which I well might, I love love love my stretch fake leather one but am wondering about lime green scuba for a laugh - I'll be braver and go for it