The Sewing Place

UFO Attack!

Lyn-J

UFO Attack!
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
I hope this is the right place to post this.
Join me in getting those UFOs (Unfinished objects) done.
No rules or deadlines, just sew 'em or throw 'em.
I've got at least 3 t-shirts I can see form here, then there's two pair of trousers and a top in the sewing room and goodness knows what's at the bottom of the wardrobe.  :|

Vegegrow

Re: UFO Attack!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 13:38:07 PM »
I hope this is the right place to post this.
Join me in getting those UFOs (Unfinished objects) done.
No rules or deadlines, just sew 'em or throw 'em.
I've got at least 3 t-shirts I can see form here, then there's two pair of trousers and a top in the sewing room and goodness knows what's at the bottom of the wardrobe.  :|
This is something I need to do but haven't got time at the moment... what with the Block of the month.. the stash sewalong and 2 quilts to make plus all my work sewing .. the sewing table is covered at the moment.. :sew: :sew: :sew:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 15:01:22 PM »
Yes I need to do this too! I'm wondering if it might help if we posted a pic of the Work in Progress item we intend to finish by way of making the commitment a bit more official? Perhaps to get advice if we are stuck? Even if the advice might be:-

'I'd bin that if I were you'  :devil:

mmmm I might need to get a better camera and find out more about posting pictures.

:vintage:

Lyn-J

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 15:34:31 PM »
I'm wondering if it might help if we posted a pic of the Work in Progress item we intend to finish by way of making the commitment a bit more official? Perhaps to get advice if we are stuck?

mmmm I might need to get a better camera and find out more about posting pictures.
Anything that helps :)

I'm about to try and do pictures, I managed to do one via Flickr but not one direct from my PC - yet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 15:38:44 PM by Lyn-J »

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 15:41:10 PM »

If you can't post to the gallery, upload your photo to LunaPic using the browse option, resize it to the optimum size for the forum (500x665) and then create an Imgur link that can be used to show your image.

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 16:30:28 PM »
I'm in. 

I commit to finishing the red, black and white D9P I'm making for DS1, the scrappy houses quilt that I have been making for almost 3 years and the swoon houses.  (Photos to follow)

Apart from Iminei's mystery quilt, I will not start a new project until these three are finished.  <crossed fingers behind back>

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 19:52:34 PM »
If you can't post to the gallery, upload your photo to LunaPic using the browse option, resize it to the optimum size for the forum (500x665) and then create an Imgur link that can be used to show your image.

Many thanks for the info Utta Retch (what a name not realy seen it properly before as I have to plus the text size so the bottom half of the name gets hidden behind your avatar :) )  I understand some of the words but not all!! I did manage to post something in the gallery .... probaby just luck that it was aready small enough! I'll have a go when I've decided which one to go with. :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
Utta Retch (not sure how it was spelt, so this is my interpretation) was a character from 'Beachcomber' by humourist, JB Morton.  She was a circus performer before she married 'Colonel Retch'.  :D

Lantana

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »
Utta Retch (not sure how it was spelt, so this is my interpretation) was a character from 'Beachcomber' by humourist, JB Morton.  She was a circus performer before she married 'Colonel Retch'.  :D

:) Take care on that trapeze!

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 22:12:02 PM »
I've been trying to get some trousers made for the missus since Xmas...2 pairs currently in process, and I keep getting logjammed.  SO BORING when I could be making pretty things for ME!
C'est moi!

Lantana

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 00:09:09 AM »
OK Here is one of my many WIP's Posting it here as I see there is a Japanese competition coming up. Did this from the book 'Circle Play' by Reynola Pakusich. I've quited in the ditch along all the sashing but not touched the actual blocks. Feel scared of bu88erin' it up! Wanted to practise a bit more free motion first. For some reason I'd thought it was going to be easy to machine quilt round the circles ... a test piece has put me right about that!

L :vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »
Lantana, what a gorgeous quilt.  Most unusual.  Are the circles appliqued or have you done some amazing curved seams.  I love the colours - I'm finding, as I do more, that my leaning is towards a muted colour palette.  I must break out of the mould and get some Kaffe Fasset.  Can't help with suggestions for quilting I'm afraid, I haven't passed the head scratching stage yet.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lantana

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »
Lantana, what a gorgeous quilt.  Most unusual.  Are the circles appliqued or have you done some amazing curved seams.  I love the colours - I'm finding, as I do more, that my leaning is towards a muted colour palette.  I must break out of the mould and get some Kaffe Fasset.  Can't help with suggestions for quilting I'm afraid, I haven't passed the head scratching stage yet.

Thankyou Ploshkin  :)

The circles were appliqued on .... curved piecing is something I've yet to learn!!
 In real life the darker cross in the background doesn't seem to stand out quite as much as on here. I was really pleased with how it turned out which is why I'm even more scared of quilting it! There is something to be said for quilts that have turned out less perfectly than hoped as it liberates the quilting stage.  :)

In this technique once you'd appliqued on the circles you cut out the background which leaves you with another set of circles for another quilt should you wish. This is just wallhanging size so I could make a cushion cover or a bag if I felt like it.

Yes it can be good to challenge ourselves and break out of our comfort zone as regards colours. I made this to highlight the Japanese fabric which until then I'd been feeling reluctant to cut up.

L :vintage:

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 18:49:47 PM »
Does crocheting count, I started a cardy last June and have 1 1/2 sleeves to do (i have had 1 1/2 sleeves to do since JULY!!), i suppose i could be doing it now instead of catching up with the Archers Omnibus and typing this!
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 20:03:40 PM »
Oh I'd say it counts all crafts are equal when it comes to a UFO threat! Seems like you got the rest done super fast. All it takes is a little thing to knock us out of the groove for things to get put to one side ... and the longer you leave it ......  :)