The Sewing Place

Mondrian dress project

Manuela

Re: Mondrian dress project
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:44 AM »
Progress update:
I decided to go with Vogue 1557, but had to amend it quite a bit. Got the fit nearly nailed, this is the second muslin.
Still to do
- another 1/2 inch FBA
- quite a bit of scooping at the neck
- take in the yoke at the CF about 1/2 inch (total)
- lower front yoke seam 5/8 inch

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Changes on the first muslin were:
1/2 inch FBA
Straightened the shoulder seam 5/8" at front and back (I have very straight shoulders)
Shortened CB 1/2" between neck hole and waist (I also have a very straight back)
Scooped out front and back neckhole - it is very narrow at the pattern, and I don't have a wide neck  :o

I'm ready to start with the colour

Surest1tch

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 15:57:13 PM »
Oh I love that style, I had one very similar in the late 60's and wore it till it virtually dropped to bits, mine was black, bright red and white, it was the mini skirted version and I think I got it off Carnaby Street when it was the "in" place to go for clothes. I can't really remember what it was made from possibly something like a Trevera but I remember there was no stretch in it.
I can't wait to see it when you've finished it Manuela

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 16:09:58 PM »
I am sure it's going to be exquisite @Manuela.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 16:40:38 PM »
So excited to see this Manuela, looks stunning already.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »
The white fabric has just arrived, it's currently being pre-shrunk in the washing machine. I'd better get on with planning the colour blocking...

Manuela

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 03:29:11 AM »
Still thinking and planning....
This pictures shows vertical black strips on the side seams, not sure about them. Thoughts?

Given the amount of fabric I got, I might as well utilise it and make two versions of the dress. The original Vogue 1557 first...

.... and then fine tune the colour blocks for the more more colourful version. That gives me time to mull over the side seam thingy. Thoughts/opinions on thos strips are more than welcome.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
I would be inclined to put black strips on the side seams of the plainer version for balance.

Manuela

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »
I would be inclined to put black strips on the side seams of the plainer version for balance.

I've cut the plain version a short while ago and started assembling it, will play around with strips and see whether or not I like them on the sides.
At the moment it's a nay though. On the other hand, they'd be optically slimming, hmm
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:30:19 AM by Manuela »

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 08:34:29 AM »
 0_0 I have a bias against white clothing and never wear the colour.  I think the original Vogue pattern looks rather plain and I wouldn't make in white at all.

Nevis5

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
I think the black stripes along the seams would provide a frame for the plainer version.  I'm fascinated by your thinking process though and look forward to seeing the results!

Manuela

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
@UttaRetch black and white looks good on me, due to my colouring (I'm cool, clear and deep) and I love wearing both colours on their own as well...

After playing with the black strips and the half assembled dress on the dress form, I decided to stick the the original with the plainer version. The black strips on the sides bothered me - I can't explain why though.
It'll have a black stripe down the centre back, unlike the new version of Vogue 1575 which has a plain white back.

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »

Strange decision not to include the centre back stripe on the reissue.

fajita

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »
I prefer the look of the dress without the side stripes.

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
Not only that, the strip at them hem is definitely wider than the other strips on the original. On the reissue oall the black bits have the same width.
I think they dumbed down the pattern...   >:)

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 09:29:17 AM »
I think it's better without the side strips. It looks cleaner and sleeker and I don't think you need the slimming effect!