Mondrian dress project

Surest1tch

Re: Mondrian dress project
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 11:33:09 AM »
No side strips, it'll spoil it.

Manuela

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 14:52:54 PM »
I think it's better without the side strips. It looks cleaner and sleeker and I don't think you need the slimming effect!

Yep, that was the bit that bothered me - it'd look cleaner without the strips at the side seams. Thank you @Greybird  for pointing that out.
As for the idea of not needing the the slimming effect - menopause is not kind and I am battling its spread around the waist  :S 
I'm the first to admit that I am vain - but only when I look in the mirror/judge myself, I don't give a rodent's patootie (thank you @Renegade Sewist for enhancing my vocabulary) about what other people think of what I'm wearing  :devil:

Then again, I strongly believe that designers like Yves Saint Laurent knew what they were doing, hence the plain version of the dress won't have black stripe on the side seams.
Looking at the whole picture of the second dress, I think I'm going to make it exactly the way the original was done. The black strips at the side seams counter-balance the horizontal lines... (this is what I think at the moment..)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 14:56:08 PM by Manuela »

UttaRetch

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 18:05:01 PM »
You see, the black stripe down the side is precisely what I like about the colour block version, and agree with @Nevis5 that they would 'frame' the plainer version.  However, I know that yours will be excellent versions.

Morgan

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 19:09:20 PM »
Thought you may like this variation on a theme and these too

Manuela

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2018, 22:58:18 PM »
@Morgan thank you, I like the denim dress - a lot...

Manuela

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 04:29:48 AM »
The pattern has a problem that is somewhat obvious on the picture at the pattern envelope.

I noticed it on both muslins. The yoke seam has (bust) shaping and sits very high, this leads to too much fabric sitting at the upper bust. I had to reduce that at the CF twice, but it still didn't look right. Adding to that is that the black strips are cut straight - so the strip at the yoke won't lie flat ( forgot to take a 'before' picture). I recut the strip and shaped it like the yoke - basically lenghtening it - and am now happy with the result. The fullness and shaping is closer to where it belongs.

Here is the 'after' picture
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 07:01:19 AM »
You know me....I was looking at all of this, thinking about options, considering Mondrian's philosophy of work and that to him these were actually nature paintings, distilled down to their very essence. So I'm thinking the first version is fine with plain vanilla sides, but the more complex version should have the side strips, to help reinforce the modular aspects of the pattern as well as continue with the rhythm of the whole thing. Then my inner Nene speaks up, and keeping with the nature theme wants to suggest the side strip on just one side.  :devil:

Hee hee... rodent's patootie, not to be confused with a Sweet Patootie. (Early 20th century American colloquialism for pretty girl or sweetheart.)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »
Thanks everybody for the input. I watched a documentary on the BBC about abstract art with a segment about Piet Mondrian in it. I also had a good look at his art - online and in the library.
The more I researched, the more I understood YSL's interpretation, including the different width of the black stripes.

Progress pictures:

problem solved, the front looks smooth

zipper well hidden in the centre back stripe - which also means it's slightly off centre (need to account for that when doing the lining)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 23:49:04 PM by Manuela »

UttaRetch

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
Slight thread drift, sorry @Manuela, but I love this

and it work better for my hourglass shape.

Manuela

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »
@UttaRetch it's gorgeous, but would need to be done in a beefy knit. Otherwise the lines would be broken/disturbed by the seams and darts necessary for shaping.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2018, 09:35:14 AM »
I'm loving this thread.  I am way too long in the tooth for this frock (my darling 15 year old son keeps accusing me of having bingo wings, the wretch!) and I never wear frocks in any event, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. :loveit:

Fabric Lover

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2018, 16:22:49 PM »
Looks lovely already Manuela.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Manuela

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 16:00:38 PM »
I made good progress on the dress and really enjoy the precision sewing it requires. Already looking forward to the second version.
Won't get anything done before late next week, due to the school trip to Thailand. I don't think me bringing a sewing machine along to a geography field trip (with a few adventures) would be appreciated  :devil:  We'll be back late on June 27th, which is in the last week of term. Then I'll fully dive into my summer break projects   :loveit:

Manuela

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
The first version is done and I am very happy with the result.

The next version won't have a full length zipper. Given that there is hardly any waist shaping, there is no need for it - the zipper will end at the back yoke.
I'll start with the more complex version of the dress next week  :vintage:  :frock:  :thread:

ETA: The vertical strips and the strip at the front are 4cm wide, the strip at the bottom is 5cm wide. In hindsight, I think the bottom strip on the original is 6cm wide, I prefer the 5cm width I did on my dress though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 15:24:37 PM by Manuela »

b15erk

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
Manuela, that is beautiful!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.