The Sewing Place

Lining

wrenkins

Lining
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »
I have purchased some outrageous fabric for floor sweeper summer skirts and it's a little bit see through so I shall have to line it.
My question is...Do I put in a little modesty half lining or should I do a full length job? My reason for not automatically doing full length is that I'm a 'sweaty betty'  :x and would like to try to stay cool.
If it helps...if I was 30 years younger either the skirt or the lining or both would be up to my bahooky! The lining will not be for my modesty but for others' delicate sensibilities!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

Re: Lining
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »
I think this is down to personal choice Wren,  I'm having to make the same decision for my Tea Dress.  Normally, for Lilya's frocks, I make the lining long enough so that the finished length comes just above the finished length of the dress hem.

For myself, especially for summery things, knee length is long enough, if you think about it, if you wear a slip, that is usually knee length or above.  After one particular disaster, I also check the weight of the lining fabric - the finished frock was just too heavy!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
HAlf slip.  Less work, usable for lots of garments.  If you make it in cotton lawn or cupro, nice and cool
C'est moi!

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
Thank you ladies.
That's what I'll do.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

eclectic

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »
I too would make a separate knee length slip .. then you can take it off when you get home  0_0

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Oooo cunning plan @eclectic:ninja: