The Sewing Place

They want you to buy but only give you half a tale

Gernella

They want you to buy but only give you half a tale
« on: May 29, 2018, 13:04:18 PM »
It really hacks me off when you go hunting for fabric, find something you think will be suitable but then all you get is picture of the fabric, what it is, price and width.

What you really need is what is the fabric is made up of; what the washing instructions are; what the weight is; what are suitable uses for the fabric and if you are really lucky  a nice description and video of the fabric.  Which is why I like using Clothspot even though some of the stuff is expensive.

I looked on MacCulloch and Wallis last night and all you get is bare necessities.  Some of us like a story to tempt us.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

jen

Re: They want you to buy but only give you half a tale
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 13:31:03 PM »
I like the photographs to include a tape measure to give an idea of pattern size, and bonus if you can see it draped over a hand or stand to get an idea of how it falls and how opaque it is. Fibre content is a must.

crafter

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 14:47:42 PM »
Myfabric will give you some information, with pictures of the fabric being made up in different garments, although I think this is computer generated rather than the real thing.  And they always give the weight which I find really useful.

Sometimes, I almost make up my mind to order but then think I will send for a sample first.  This is where they fall down.  The samples never turn up!

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 15:05:21 PM »

Also washing instructions - personally I'd rather infer it for myself as I feel I have a good understanding of how to wash different fabrics and prefer it my way.

But fibres, yes, that is a definite you need to know.

Or then they go over the top and no matter what it is put the dreaded 'P', even if it is linen/cotton etc.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 16:33:09 PM »
As a novice fabric orderer I read and re-read everything to death and agree that some sites just don't give enough detail. Sometimes when a fabric is directional it isn't always obvious what the direction is; I have seen stripes going horizontally AND vertically for the same fabric.
I was looking for something for a future project and it has a kind of stand-up, grown on collar. I would like the drape of fabric to be graded 1-5 for drapiness or I could end up with a cowl neck jacket! :S
Slightly off topic but on Minerva's website only some of their patterns show the reverse of the envelope but they and others show both sides on evil bay. I have to flick between the two for details of line drawings and yardage.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 17:38:24 PM »
It is also intensely irritating when a site gives good information for some of their fabrics but not for others.  And, much as I like their fabrics I do get fed up having to wade through Croft Mill's poetic descriptions to find any useful information.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 21:13:46 PM »
The very least I would expect is the name and content of the fabric.  Nothing at all is very poor.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 22:39:34 PM »
When fabric is shipped from the suppliers it doesn't always come with all the relevant information.  That can include the name of the fabric, % of various fibres and even the fibres themselves.  So it's not always the retailer at fault.   I think it's got worse in recent years. 
As a dressmaker I like to know what I am buying as I don't really like wearing polyester,  even mixed with other fibres. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
I think it's just poor inventory control.  A roll fabric is delivered in protective wrapping with a label describing the fabric stuck on the front.  If the vendor doesn't bother to enter this into the system, then nobody knows what is being bought and sold.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 09:02:45 AM »
It's hard enough buying fabric on the internet, without essential information being omitted, but when you are paying a lot of money for fabric, and postage, it's pretty poor service.

I rarely spend a lot of money on fabric, but when I do, I expect to get what I pay for, and you can't do that if the fabric isn't properly described.

I stick with my local fabric store mainly, at least I can see what I'm getting.  I do know I'm lucky though, some of you haven't got a local fabric store any more.  :(

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
And, much as I like their fabrics I do get fed up having to wade through Croft Mill's poetic descriptions to find any useful information.

Crikey, is he still going with his stupid descriptions? That used to drive me nuts pre-Internet when it was a paper catalogue.  I look at their website occasionally but I haven't noticed anything as bad as I used to see.

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »
OTOH I used to enjoy the descriptions and other comments in the Croft Mill leaflet.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
I quite like their descriptions, but my favourite top is made from fabric that they clearly didn't like - they gave it the heading 'A Mess'.   -<  Pah!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
Now I have had a look at the Clothspot site I see what you mean about the quality of the descriptions.
They have some lovely fabrics too.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 15:31:12 PM »
I'm on  a destash group on FB...and the amount that get posted saying just 'fabric' drives me MAD.  I keep asking, but they tend to just 'haha' and think I'm joking.  FFS.
C'est moi!