The Sewing Place

They want you to buy but only give you half a tale

Tamnymore

Re: They want you to buy but only give you half a tale
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 16:25:57 PM »
And it's surprising how much fabric on ebay is poorly described. I've had I think 3 occasions in the last year where I've had to ask the seller what were the dimensions of the fabric piece. Some people can't measure at all accurately. I've had some measurements which were way out. Recently a length of fabric described as 3.70 m was 3.07m when it arrived. When I queried it the seller did give me a reasonable partial refund.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 16:28:40 PM »
I think it's just poor inventory control.  A roll fabric is delivered in protective wrapping with a label describing the fabric stuck on the front.  If the vendor doesn't bother to enter this into the system, then nobody knows what is being bought and sold.

Not always @UttaRetch.  Would be lovely if it was but that isn't always the case.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 19:46:16 PM »
I don't want to be disputive, but I have been in a number of fabric shops and witnessed delivered rolls.  All of them had labels identifying the fabric and content.  I don't know what goes on with online businesses and how they obtain their stock, but I imagine they buy rolls just as do the bricks and mortar shops.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 22:12:13 PM »
As someone who takes delivery of the stuff I can assure you it,s not always the case.  It depends on the supplier.  And even when tags are attached to bolts and rolls they are often dislodged by customers pulling stuff around. 

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »
Now I have had a look at the Clothspot site I see what you mean about the quality of the descriptions.
They have some lovely fabrics too.

Funnily enough I bought some fabric late Tuesday night from them, then on Wednesday afternoon I sat looking again and bought a  different lot, just in case it went as I don't think they keep a large stock.  This morning I've had a message from them that they got the order just as they were packing the other one so put together and refunded the second lot of postage.  I certainly didn't expect that. <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Nevis5

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
I like Clothspot too, their customer service is brilliant.  Might have just got yet more fabric from them this week too  :devil:  The only slight downside to me is that a lot of their fabrics are polyester and I don't do synthetics.  Apart from that, 10/10 from me!!