The Sewing Place

Silk Tweed skirt

Silver Rose

Silk Tweed skirt
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
Making progress with this skirt out of a bargain £4.95 for the 1 metre   I've had the fabric for a couple of years as the colour is a bit of a yucky grey/sage green. The matching of the check pattern didn't go to plan but that is the first time I've really tried. The fabric is very light and has a smooth soft feel so it will be worn next autumn time. Next job is to cut and sew the lining, these days I always do french seams on linings because cheap polyester lining frays badly
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:19:37 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

Re: Silk Tweed skirt
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 15:52:26 PM »
Bargain!   If it,s silk it's a shame to be adding a polyester lining.  A nice silk habotai would be nice. 
A tip for future matching of plaids etc.  Try tacking the seam together from the right side.  See tip number 8 here.
https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/article/how-to-match-plaid-fabric-when-sewing/

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:27:33 AM »
I've finished the skirt and am pleased with the fit, not so happy with the matching of the checks, thanks for your tip @Ohsewsimple, next time I'll get it right. Pics to follow when I can get someone to take a decent photo of me wearing it.
Still learning

eclectic

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 16:55:31 PM »
Silverrose i think that is a great result for a fiver! You learnt somthing new, used your stash and your going to wear it ... win in my book :) look foward to seeing the pics