The Sewing Place

Hello!

beepbeepsew

Hello!
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
Hello everyone :)

Glad to see that there is somewhere to chat about sewing and dressmaking still.  I have had a break for a few years and was sad to see that the sewing forum is no longer around - but then i found you all!  I joined the sewing forum when I came to make my wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses 9 years ago but it basically destroyed my joy of sewing for pleasure.  I'm sad to say I sold off everything, my machines, dressform, patterns, piles of fabric and haberdashery...

Years later, I found a little quilting fabric shop and wandered in, I was tempted by all the pretty colours so I bought some.  When I got home, I ordered a new sewing machine and taught myself how to do patchwork and quilting. It's kept me busy, I've made lots of quilts and tons of unfinished ones! Importantly, I found some of my sewing love again.

Now, my daughter is 15 and taking an interest in making her own clothes.  She came home with a sewing pattern and an old curtain from her Nan's one day and after battling with the paper for an evening she eventually yells 'Oh my god Mom!  How are you supposed to make any sense out of this?!'  So I showed her how to cut out, how to use the machine and how to put it together and I realised that I still really like dressmaking after all.

Since then, I helped her along with a couple of bits and she's had her frustrations with the learning curve but she is persevering and I've enjoyed helping her - and taking the trips to buy fabric, habby and patterns. 

I have started buying fabric and patterns again.  Just before Christmas I made Simplicity 8084 for myself and had a great time. So now I feel like I am coming to the hobby for the first time again! It all seems so fun, new and fresh - and I am really enjoying helping my daughter out with it. I am currently really regretting getting rid of so much after the wedding, I have a list of bits to replace as long as my arm.

Wow, that was long - sorry!
The moral of the story is, never get rid of your sewing stuff - ever.

:)

b15erk

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
Hello BBS, and Welcome!  Grab yourself a brew, and jump right in!  Lots of friendly folk here ready to encourage and enable you to buy lots of sewing goodies!!

:drink: :cake:
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
Hello and welcome back to the sewing world.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

eclectic

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
Hi and welcome, so glad you found the love again  :vintage:

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »
Wecome to TSP.  Make sure you find the Dark Side for P&Q as well as all the other boards.  Yes we are very good at tempting you to buy lots of goodies. :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
Welcome BBS.
I think you have to try to forget about the stuff you got rid of before and start again now you have rediscovered your love of sewing.
Hopefully finding us again will help too (there are a lot of very good enablers in here)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 14:00:41 PM »
Nice to meet you BBS - the love for sewing never really leaves us. It just sits dormant, waiting to be rediscovered, and then - presto - you're off again. Glad you found the pleasure in sewing again. :) You'll be very welcome in the Dark Side too. :devil:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

beepbeepsew

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 14:19:58 PM »
Thank you all for the lovely welcome!

This is what I needed, to surround myself with enablers lol :) I had no idea that I had spent all that time on the darkside without even knowing, I will definitely be lurking there.

I just bought some of this to make a simple summer top with:

I am ridiculously excited actually x

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 14:24:50 PM »
I'm not surprised; it is GORGEOUS.

Welcome to TSP.  Make yourself at home.   :drink:

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 17:51:38 PM »
Hello and welcome from me, too  :toast:  lucky you having a daughter who's interested in sewing.  Mine is only interested if I make her stuff  ><

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 18:17:33 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too  :drink:.  I think once you've got the sewing bug it never really leaves you. I'm not surprised making the wedding apparel put you off, for me that would be like torture  :(.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 20:15:10 PM »
Welcome beepbeepsew from a selfish seamstress, although it's been a while since I last made anything.

Move away from the dark side (patchwork and quilting) and into the full light of dressmaking. 0_0

Love your fabric by the way and perhaps you might have time to enter the florals competition, but if not, we would still like to see how it turns out.

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 21:17:29 PM »
Welcome from me too, this is a friendly place, both the Dark and the light side will give you lots of help and encouragement.

That fabric is fab BTW, what pattern are you planning to use?

beepbeepsew

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
A competition you say? I will definitely be showing it off (if it goes to plan!) so if I'm in time I would love to join in. 

I am planning to use a charity shop find (50p a pattern at my local but not always in good condition - this one was uncut) New Look 6086 view D, but I want to shorten it a little and change the hem to curved.  I am going to take my time and make a toile first, I used to have to modify a lot to fit me so I'm sure that's still the case.

Edit: Well my thriftyness didn't last for long.  Today I found Deer and Doe for the first time.  Their Datura Blouse is the exact thing I had in mind so I splurged and plan to attack it over the weekend!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 21:46:32 PM by beepbeepsew »

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 23:49:25 PM »
Welcome to The Sewing Forum @beepbeepsew.
Our 'Florals Rule' competition runs until June 10th, pictures should be up by June 15th - have a look in the Sewalong and Competition section  :)