The Sewing Place

Fitting Systems (Solo)

Sewingsue

Fitting Systems (Solo)
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
This was triggered by my getting emails about a new fitting book just published 'New Book = Temptation'

Plus finding a post I had printed off from TSF (oh dear, 2008  :| )
"choose just one, methodical fitting and pattern adjustment scheme that you can use to fit yourself, focus and stick with it."

So I hauled out fitting books from my shelves (I think I found them all)

Vogue Sewing Book of Fitting, Adjustments and Alterations
Sarah Veblen. The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting
Lynne Garner. A Perfect Fit (creating personalised patterns)
The Perfect Fit – A Practical Guide to Adjusting Patterns for a Professional Finish
Singer. Sewing Pants That Fit
Betty Foster’s Adapting to Fashion
Betty Foster – Creating Fashion
Palmer/Pletsch Jackets for Real People
Palmer/Pletsch Pants for Real People

Plus several Craftsy classes (one of which I have actually worked on - Pam Howard Jacket Fitting)

Help! I think I need an intervention  :o

Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewingsue

Re: Fitting Systems (Solo)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 15:28:08 PM »
Thanks, Francesca.
It does look interesting, if complicated, but I'm not sure if adding another alternative is the way to go for me.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 16:24:47 PM »
@Sewingsue you haven't told us which book it is.  :D :D :D
I've got several of those you've listed as well. But I don't look on them as different systems, just books with different fitting issues in them.   I can't always find what I want in one but probably will in another.  And then I choose my own preferred method of alteration.
I'm not helping am I?  :P.  Shall I just say, go for the book?   ;)

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 16:50:56 PM »
I make a point of never, ever telling anyone not to buy a book.  (Well, apart from 50 Shades...)

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 16:59:44 PM »
@Sewingsue you haven't told us which book it is.  :D :D :D
I've got several of those you've listed as well. But I don't look on them as different systems, just books with different fitting issues in them.   I can't always find what I want in one but probably will in another.  And then I choose my own preferred method of alteration.
I'm not helping am I?  :P.  Shall I just say, go for the book?   ;)
It's a new one from Palmer/Pletsch - The Complete Guide to Fitting.
ETA
No, I will not be adding to my collection - the postage is almost the same as the price of the book  :o

And thank you for justifying my collection of books  :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 17:13:32 PM by Sewingsue »

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 19:31:03 PM »
You must keep updated.
One of my dressmaking books says things like...'when fitting the garment ensure that you are wearing the same girdle if one is to be worn....'  ><
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 19:39:31 PM »
You must keep updated.
One of my dressmaking books says things like...'when fitting the garment ensure that you are wearing the same girdle if one is to be worn....'  ><
However I have seen wedding dress makers complaining about brides who turn up for fittings in different underpinnings.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 19:46:37 PM »
But how many of them own a girdle? And I'm not talking about a nice wee bridal white lacy froo froo here!  0_0 My Great Aunt Annie's had suspenders attached around the bottom edge.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 22:04:30 PM »
@Sewingsue I wondered if it was that one.   Ummmmmmm you can pre order it from Amazon ;)
I will definitely be ordering it as my one is falling to bits and it has been completely re written so I figure it's worth it.
Of course Kenneth King has a new book out as well.  Now that one would be a different way of looking at things. 
I'm so glad I could help you justify your collection.  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 22:13:20 PM »
My Great Aunt Annie's had suspenders attached around the bottom edge.  :S
I remember my mother wearing garments like that.  :o
After that came the Playtex 18 hour girdle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjmQlt_6mM
Suspenders were an optional extra I think.

If you are petite enough not to need such underpinning there is one, size small, currently available on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/173136101889?clk_rvr_id=1548405097157&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=173136101889&rmvSB=true
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 22:38:44 PM »
@Sewingsue I wondered if it was that one.   Ummmmmmm you can pre order it from Amazon ;)
I will definitely be ordering it as my one is falling to bits and it has been completely re written so I figure it's worth it.
Of course Kenneth King has a new book out as well.  Now that one would be a different way of looking at things. 
I'm so glad I could help you justify your collection.  :)
Yes, I spotted that too. Due out in Sept I think.

Although that is a normal paperback, the one they were selling from their own site is the ring bound version.

(do not look at the Kenneth King, do not look at the Kenneth King, do not look at the Kenneth King)

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:38:39 AM »
I make a point of never, ever telling anyone not to buy a book.  (Well, apart from 50 Shades...)

Hey, 5ven 50 Shades has its uses.  It's strongly recommended/required reading in my local BDSM community (depends on which side you fall, I suppose).  Of course, it's what NOT to do, but still. 

But I'm like Ohsewsimple; I take what I need from different books.  I don't think one book covers all of it.

Also: I am a book enabler!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 20:11:07 PM »
Yes, I spotted that too. Due out in Sept I think.

Although that is a normal paperback, the one they were selling from their own site is the ring bound version.

(do not look at the Kenneth King, do not look at the Kenneth King, do not look at the Kenneth King)

I prefer the spiral bound but happy to get whatever I can.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 21:35:00 PM »
Hey, 5ven 50 Shades has its uses.  It's strongly recommended/required reading in my local BDSM community (depends on which side you fall, I suppose).  Of course, it's what NOT to do, but still. 

But I'm like Ohsewsimple; I take what I need from different books.  I don't think one book covers all of it.

Also: I am a book enabler!

"Hey, 5ven 50 Shades has its uses. It's strongly recommended/required reading in my local BDSM community (depends on which side you fall, I suppose). Of course, it's what NOT to do, but still."

:S I so DO NOT want to know how you know that information.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.