The Sewing Place

Which woven fabric for baby girl's summer dresses?

Addiscomber

Which woven fabric for baby girl's summer dresses?
« on: May 30, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »
What do any of you use - polycotton or cotton? Some polycotton can be a little bit stiff, and I see that Mothercare's dresses are of  100% cotton or 'cotton rich' but that leads to ironing, and I don't want to add to my daughter in law's work load if it isn't necessary. Baby is 6 months old.

I shall have to shop online as I live in a fabric desert locally, and have to be in a wheelchair outside of the house. Sadly, although I live in London fabric shops in the central area are beyond my physical capabilities now. This is the first time that I shall really miss being able to feel the fabric before buying.

b15erk

Re: Which woven fabric for baby girl's summer dresses?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
I use poly cotton sometimes, but I love cotton lawn, and chambray.  Cotton is more laundry intensive!

Broderie Anglaise is lovely for girls too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 13:48:03 PM »
I've just started a dress for my GD in cotton lawn - lovely to work with and a lovely texture.

lakaribane

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 13:54:34 PM »
When I was a kid, broderie anglaise, cotton seersucker and cotton lawn were the fabrics used to make my clothing. I was never dresses in synthetics or knits, except for t-shirts. I'm not of the leggings generation...

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 14:34:23 PM »
Cotton lawn is lovely and a bit softer than ordinary cotton.  Seersucker is also very good and doesn't need ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 14:45:55 PM »
Cotton lawn, Batiste,  broderie anglaise all work, but do look their best ironed. My daughter doesn't iron anything and the dresses I've made for GD look fine on, after all, they get creased when worn. I made a dress from chambray, that doesn't seem to need ironing. Seersucker and gingham are good and polycotton is non iron, but high amounts of polyester can make it feel scratchy  and doesn't breathe well. I wash cotton on a low spin speed cycle then line dry, the wind bashes out
 any wrinkles & softens it.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

maliw

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 14:51:10 PM »
I've made several in thin polycotton, great for holidays as they can be washed and drip dried overnight and no need for ironing.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 16:00:33 PM »
Pure cotton is nicer on a baby's skin.  Cotton lawn is lovely and a quality one like Liberty wouldn't need too much ironing.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 16:56:48 PM »
I would always go for pure cotton for a baby.  I never minded ironing the babies' stuff as they were so quick to do but if you can get them out of the washer and give a good shake, they should be ok without ironing (not something I ever managed though!)

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 18:25:35 PM »
Always natural fibres, if your DIL doesn't wash the clothes on a high temperature and slows the spin down they shouldn't really need much ironing.  I envy you having a little grand daughter to sew for I only got grandsons  :'(, wonderful as they are you can't make for boys in the same way you can for boys.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 17:40:24 PM »
I envy you having a little grand daughter to sew for I only got grandsons  :'(, wonderful as they are you can't make for boys in the same way you can for boys.
I envy you all, granddaughters or grandsons, having neither myself!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Addiscomber

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 14:35:57 PM »
 You may be surprised one day, as we were. I do hope so.

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 15:03:16 PM »
I`m afraid I would say poly-cotton because of the ironing issue (I don`t think my daughter owns an iron - she definitely hasn`t got an ironing board)
Minerva has some very pretty ones - last time I looked they were £2.99/m

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 15:14:46 PM »
I've just picked a lovely poly up for a dress for Lilya, white with grey stars on it.  Hoping to make a nice dress for Christmas.

I've made loads of frocks for Lilya since she was born, and I don't think DD is bothered about the fabric, although for a special frock, I would push the boat out a bit.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 18:42:53 PM »
I've nearly got to the end of tracing the first pattern. OMG how tedious a task is that?

DGD is, according to the Health Visitor, underweight and in the bottom 10% for her age (6 months yesterday). They have been here for the last couple of days and she never stops moving, kicking her legs around, and rolling here there and everywhere at every opportunity. She must be using her nutrition up with activity. Any way as best we can measure her, she is 17 inches around the chest, 26" height, and she is just over 13.5 lbs(6 kg). So it looks as though Simplicity size Small is the one to try first.

She is just starting solid foods and taking a very active interest in that, so is using up several outfits a day as her bibs cannot cope. As it is forecast to be hot I think that I will get polycotton so that I can make several easily washed and dried dresses for now. Maybe I will buy some of the more expensive cottons to work on over the winter.