The Sewing Place

Blind hemming.

wrenkins

Blind hemming.
« on: May 30, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
I have to hand stitch a band to a bathrobe and it's a mile long so I thought I'd learn how to blind hem! It looks easy.
I put on my blind hemming foot and set to with some scraps.
First go...perfect! Unfortunately it was all down hill from there. There seems to be a problem with tension somewhere and eventually after several goes the bobbin gave up the ghost altogether.
I tried adjusting the stitch width and had a little play and I seem to have upset it somehow.
I put everything back to how it was at the start and it's still acting the a**e on blind hemming but when I put on my 1/4 " foot and sewed a straight seam it was all perfect!
One thing I should add is that I'm using a cone for my top thread. It's not on the spool holder on the machine but in a cup and threaded up through a safety pin. This had also been working perfectly well until now.
What am I missing?
I'm going to handstitch the robe as my thread isn't a close enough colour and I don't want to make a mess but I have curtains waiting to hem and I really want to use my blind hemmer.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Blind hemming.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 15:58:10 PM »
I'm assuming this is just a foot on a sewing machine.  Personally I never like the result I get with them.  Always prefer to do it by hand.  Seems quicker too taking into account all the faffing around trying to get all the settings right.  :)

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 19:27:02 PM »
Turns out it was the bobbin! The case wasn't seated correctly so I hit it a smart tap and off it went.  :angry:
I prefer the look of hand stitched too OSS but it's miles long. I'll do the robe by hand because I'd like a decent finish but the curtains are still under threat!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 21:48:42 PM »
Blind hemming is the stitch which is 4 or 5 straight stitches and one zig-zag to the left - or 4-5 small zig-zags on the right and one bigger zig-zag to the left.
https://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/blind-hem-tutorial/
I don't bother with the special foot, I just make sure that the middle of the regular foot is exactly over the fold of the fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.