The Sewing Place

Dodgy login

Missie

Dodgy login
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
Apologies for the title, but I couldn't think of a better one.

Everytime I log on TSP, I get an alert from AVG saying that they have isolated vividress.co.uk as it contains a malware file.  This happens on both my PC and my laptop.  I'd never heard of vividress (have now I've googled) and have never been on their site.  It happens only when logging onto this site. 

Any ideas?

Francesca

Re: Dodgy login
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »
Hmm, that is odd. I'll check the code but it's not something we seem to have on the site that I can see.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
The site name isn't mentioned in our source code anywhere, and I cannot find any details about existing malware associated with this site on Google. Usually if it's malware of some sort it is mentioned on a list at least once. The site seems to just be the standard knock-off China wedding dress shop. We also have no members with these details associated with that shop or name.

What does AVG instruct you do? Hate to say it but for lack of being able to find anything regarding it on the site it could possibly be malware at your end. Does AVG give you any option to scan your system or any prompt after showing that warning message?

Missie

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 15:52:30 PM »
Hmm, interesting as it happens on both my PC and laptop and only when I log into here.  It says "We have safely aborted connection on www.vividress.co.uk because it was infected with URL:Mal"  It says that more threats may be lurking and to run a scan, which I do and everything is ok.  The other strange thing is I have never been to vividress!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 16:01:52 PM »
Can you refresh your cache and try again?  I found a link and an image from vividress in a post from March, and I have removed them.

I don't think that there has been any risk - it would seem that AVG has been finding a false positive - and it would seem very odd for an image and link to cause that sort of problem, but it is (was) the only connection we have with vividress - which does have a fairly bad reputation in terms of trustworthiness, it seems.  That doesn't seem to be a good reason for accusing it of harbouring malware though!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 19:22:30 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 16:38:47 PM »
Can you refresh your cache and try again?

I would, if I knew how!  :S

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 16:40:54 PM »
Hold down the control, shift and delete keys together, and follow the instructions.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 16:52:35 PM »
@Acorn , thank you.  It seems to have worked.   :*

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 17:00:30 PM »
Great!  But how very weird!