The Sewing Place

To Trim, or not to Trim?

b15erk

To Trim, or not to Trim?
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
I'm slowly wading my way through the Amelia Teadress, and I have added piping to the shoulder and waist of the bodice, and I'm debating with myself about trimming the sleeves to match.  I thought a narrow strip binding in the apricot might tie it all together, but it could, on the other hand look too much...  :S

Any opinions?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: To Trim, or not to Trim?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »
I think I like it with the apricot edge - or make even more work for yourself and add piping then a floral fabric narrow cuff?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
 :D :D :D

Thanks Bodge!  More piping trim is Not Going To Happen!  The piping foot on the Pfaff has a mind of its own and meanders off all over the place!  Bias strip at the most will be added!

Just want this one done now...  :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
Or just do a plain hem as it has enough detail elsewhere  0_0  Yup, I reckon that's the answer (much less work!)

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 20:16:18 PM »
Well since you asked, I think the piping looks lovely.  Adding a bias trim might be overkill.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 20:33:16 PM »
Or just do a plain hem as it has enough detail elsewhere  0_0  Yup, I reckon that's the answer (much less work!)

I agree

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 22:19:27 PM »
If the skirt hem is plain I think the sleeve hems should be plain too.  The shoulder and waist piping together with the shirring is enough.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 06:48:18 AM »
That is very pretty!  I like it with the bias trim myself.

eclectic

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »
@b15erk that's looking lovely I would have gone with the piping but as that's not going to happen then plain will look fab.  ;) how did you do the shirring ?

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
I did the shirring on the old Singer 611g eclectic, the Pfaff wasn't playing nicely.  I wound the shirring elastic loosely on the machine, upped the tension a bit, and used a long stitch to sew the rows.  I used the foot width as a marker, but the foot on the Singer is quite narrow and I should have made the rows a little wider.  I always stretch the fabric out as I'm sewing, but the magic happens when you blast the steam over the shirring and it tightens up!

Magic!

Jessie

eclectic

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
I'm being a bit thick here @b15erk when you say wound it on the machine ..do you mean the bobbin or on top as if it were a thread ... the elastic cord I am thinking of would be too big for the needle but perhaps there is a narrower one?

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 12:18:25 PM »
Sorry E, I wasn't clear.  Some people wind the shirring elastic onto the bobbin by hand, but I did it on the machine.  I wound it slowly and just held it loosely.  The 611g has a drop in bobbin, so I dropped the bobbin in, and made no adjustments to the bobbin tension at all.

Hope this helps.

Jessie

eclectic

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
yes that's great thanks Jessie ... I am going to order some elastic and give it a go  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
Bear in mind eclectic, that your machine may need handling differently.  My Pfaff didn't want to play shirring, but the Singer had no problem.  Have a look at your manual for their advice.

Jessie

eclectic

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
I just pressed the thumbs up sign under your name and have no idea if it did anything  :) but thanks i will have a play and see how my machine behaves