The Sewing Place

Help please, I'm hanging wonky...

Bodgeitandscarper

Help please, I'm hanging wonky...
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
What is going on here???  I lay it flat and the zip looks like it's in ok, but put it on, and it hangs all wonky.  Pleased does anyone have any ideas??  Or should I just thread some elastic through the hem and pull the whole lot in a bit?

Edit:  It'd help if I put the pic in  :|
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:44:43 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

b15erk

Re: Help please, I'm hanging wonky...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »
That's an odd one Bodge.  Does it hang like that on your body, or is it just the hanger?  Very strange.  Will put my befuddled thinking cap on....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
It's quite hard to guess without seeing it live but the only thing that springs to my mind is could it be the fabric, sometimes the grain can be slightly off.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
I think I've worked it out  :)

Looking at it with the zip unfastened, it wants to swing over the centre line.  The front edge is cut on the straight grain, but because of the waist/underbust seam being at an angle, it doesn't work, ie the angle of the front edge to the waist seam is wrong.  It should work, the pattern pieces look like they should work, but in reality it doesn't.

I have used this pattern twice before, and now realise both other jackets have the same issue even though they are buttoned, see pic of tartan one below.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:28:21 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 15:08:31 PM »
That looks like a comfy jacket... what pattern is it?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 16:05:49 PM »
That looks like a comfy jacket... what pattern is it?

It's Vogue 1494 here - the top half just fits me really well.  This time I took the lower side seams in - not very well, I've ended up with almost a curve, but I quite like it.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 16:18:40 PM »
Lol!...I’ve had that pattern for eons and never made it up... I need a nice fleece.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 16:48:33 PM »
I think it's probably the fabric.  When it's being worn do the sleeves feel equal or does one, or both, feel as though its twisting?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 18:54:33 PM »
I've cut a sort of triangle off the front edges, from nothing at the waist seam to 2 1/2 inches off at the bottom edge, and it's so much better.  I think I may still take more off the hem after all and bring it up to zip level, I was trying to keep it as long as possible, but it will look better that bit shorter.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 19:13:47 PM »
I think it's probably the fabric.  When it's being worn do the sleeves feel equal or does one, or both, feel as though its twisting?
It doesn't appear to be the fabric, I've had the same with a couple of other fabrics and this pattern, but I think because they were heavier it wasn't so pronounced.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 20:21:20 PM »
Looks like fleece.  So wonder if you have stretched it when putting the zip in?  It,s a puzzle isn't it?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 21:20:34 PM »
Looks like fleece.  So wonder if you have stretched it when putting the zip in?  It,s a puzzle isn't it?
Yes it's a micro fleece with a jersey back.  Definitely not stretched as I was very, very careful.  I'm sure it's the pattern drafting, as changing the angle of the front edge has sorted it.  It's the way the waist seam is angled, when you lay it flat, there is a "bend" on the edge at the waist,  I wonder if it hung ok in smaller sizes but once you get to the "top of the range" it doesn't work.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 22:22:51 PM »
I was sure you hadn't stretched it but have to cover all bases.  :)
I can't image  the seaming should make a difference but I can't think of anything else either.  :o
However, we haven't got a piccie of the back and side view. If the back was too long somewhere it could throw the side seams forward and distort the front.