The Sewing Place

Deer & Doe Myosotis

Acorn

Deer & Doe Myosotis
« on: May 31, 2018, 21:38:16 PM »
I really like this pattern, but I don't like the way the back is longer than the front, both the bodice and the overall length.  The line drawings do not show either style as having a longer back, and initially I thought that the dress on the larger model should have had a proper FBA, but the dress on the other model is just the same when you look more closely.

So why do you think it is like that?  Are the line drawings wrong, and it is actually designed that way?

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

Re: Deer & Doe Myosotis
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 22:01:32 PM »
Drawings must be wrong ...pictures definitely show longer back on both. I really like it.
Though the name is a bit odd...thought it was some kind of disease

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 22:09:18 PM »
To my eye the black check looks really badly made and the floral looks as though the hem's all wrong. But that's how wonky hems always look to me.  -<

Why would you do that ? Just..... Why?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 22:10:39 PM »
Well the line drawings are nothing like the photos.  I'd like to see the pattern pieces.  However I'm inclined to think there's a problem with the way they've been made/fitted.  If you look at the skirt hem on the checked one it is actually straight and runs along the line of checks.  So that says to me it should be straight and there's a problem with the bodice.  If you look at the white dress on the website it's not got quite the same dip. Going back to the check one it looks to me as if there might have been an FBA of some description but no addition to the length at the front. Again it looks like the line of checks run across the bodice fairly straight, no addition at the front.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 22:16:16 PM »
The checks are level at the skirt hem, and almost level at the waist.  For the back to be down like that it means that that the side seams can't be perpendicular, they must be at an angle.  It's harder to tell with the floral version, but the dip at the back is even more noticeable.

On all other patterns I've seen with hi-low hemlines the line drawings show the difference, so personally I think that this one is meant to be level - which means that the fitting on the models is way out - and unusually it's worse on the slim model than on the bigger girl.  I suspect that there is a big problem with the drafting of the bodice.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 22:22:11 PM »
Interesting. The front and back hems definitely look different from the line drawings and they are a bit different in each version. It might be worth contacting the pattern company to see what they have to say.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 22:46:48 PM »
I think I will do that.  As you say, they aren't even high-low in the same way.  The hem of the flowered dress seems curved to me.

Efemera - myosotis is the Latin name for forget-me-nots - I think they would have been much better using the English name!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 22:54:16 PM »
I have just contacted them via their website to ask about it.  Watch this space!

I would assume that the basic bodice pattern was the same for both views, which doesn't seem to make sense when the ruffled version appears to have a straight hemline and waist.   -<

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 08:31:01 AM »
The line drawings and the different samples all tell different stories.  I do think, however, that the front waistline of the check dress bodice should be lengthened by about 5.08cm.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
I think I will do that.  As you say, they aren't even high-low in the same way.  The hem of the flowered dress seems curved to me.

Efemera - myosotis is the Latin name for forget-me-nots - I think they would have been much better using the English name!

My DD had juvenile Dermatomyositis, that’s all I saw when I saw it! :o

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
I originally read it as mitosis - ie cell division.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 09:39:17 AM »
My brain was confusing meiosis, mitosis and myxomatosis.  None of these sound promising for a dress.

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
But Forget-me-not is so much prettier a name for said plant.  It's in flower round here at the moment, beautiful misty drifts of pale blue.  Love it!

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
I spent last weekend pulling Myosotis out of the garden - it spreads worse than weeds!  It looks lovely in early spring, and hides a lot of winter damage, but when it goes over, it has to go.

It always comes back though.... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Fiona M

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
And I've just sprinkled Myosotis seeds around my parents grave!  Mum died recently, blue was her favourite colour and she loved Forget me Nots. 
Back on topic; I actually rather like the dress pattern, although I'm not much of a dress wearer these days.  Will be interested to see what the response is re the apparent discrepancy between photos and line drawings.