The Sewing Place

Deer & Doe Myosotis

Kad

Re: Deer & Doe Myosotis
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
We used to have vast areas of the stuff and as it's biennial, you have to not only pull up the flowered plants, which are in their second year of growth,  but also the little plants in their first year of growth!
It took about 5 years of regular attention but at last our garden is free of the stuff 0_0
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
Just had a much closer look at the pictures, and it looks to me as if, the front bodice is much shorter than the back bodice and that is giving the illusion of the hi-lo skirt.

In the first pic, the bodice looks much too short for the model, but the second pic it looks really nice.

I'm sure if you didn't like the hi-lo, you could level it all up. I like it though.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
I can't explain it either, but it makes me want to yank the shoulders forward in order to straighten it out.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
@Francesca - that's what I thought for the larger model, and I'm hoping that's right, because I wouldn't need an FBA.  I can't believe that the hem isn't curved for the other model though.  I will go and check out Instragram.

@Greybird - that's my instinct too! 

BTW, if anyone knows of a similar pattern please let me know!  It doesn't have to have the buttoned bodice, which I would probably edit out anyway, but I do like the looser, but not shapeless, fit.  It is astonishingly difficult to find such a simple pattern in more generous sizes!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
Yes - slightly raised waist, gathered, loosely fitted bodice and short sleeves.

Actually, having seen lots of the D&D one on Instagram I think I will give it a go.  Almost none of them have the high-low effect!

Be interesting to see what Deer&Doe say if they do reply.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »
On the Deer and Doe website it's described as an oversize shirtdress with inseam pockets.   No mention of hi-low hems.

I think it's a combination of the dresses not fitting the models (additional front bodice length from FBA needed) and because the dress is loose fitting and the models are standing badly it's allowing the dress to pull backwards.

I have only used one Deer and Doe pattern; Safran Pants which fits me well; tight as skinny jeans should be.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »
I spent last weekend pulling Myosotis out of the garden - it spreads worse than weeds!  It looks lovely in early spring, and hides a lot of winter damage, but when it goes over, it has to go.

It always comes back though.... :S

Jessie
I have it too, but I'm quite happy to let it spread.
I would take it over Spanish Bluebells any day.

My first thought when I saw the thread was myxomatosis.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
True SS, I have the dreadful SB's too, and they are so ugly.  No matter how much I pull the beggars out, they  come back next year!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »
Well, on the basis of the Instagram pictures, I have bought the pattern. 

I can tell you that the skirt pieces are precisely rectangular, and the front and back are identical with no high-low aspect at all. 

This screenshot of the copyshop version shows the bodice pieces, which don't appear to me to have any high-low features either.  (Feel free to disagree!)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »
Looks like Fran was right.  The first picture needs adjustment.  I'm just making the Amelia Teadress, and I've had to lengthen the bodice by 3", or mine might have looked like pic1, with the waist sitting under my bust!

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 13:51:05 PM »
Just a basic pattern really.  As I said, the checks were running straight so the skirt had to be straight at the hemline.....unless it was cut off grain.   
Hope you get a nice result.

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 15:22:42 PM »
I've looked at some of the Deer and Doe stuff...but it all looks so YOUNG.  I know it's just the styling, but it puts me off.  I was thinking 'how cool they're using  a plus size model' then saw that her measurements are the same as mine.
I know I'm fat, but now I'm feeling VERY fat.  How very unPC of me
C'est moi!

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 15:34:45 PM »
I have to say I did think that she looked rather larger than her measurements suggested - and certainly a lot larger than you look, DF.

Bizarrely, it was the pictures of real people in the dresses that they have made (on Instagram) that encouraged me in the end.  The vast majority of them look better than those on the D&D website.

BTW, no answer from them as yet.

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 20:21:24 PM »
And the prize goes to.... <drumroll please> ... @Greybird  0_0

I can't explain it either, but it makes me want to yank the shoulders forward in order to straighten it out.

I've had a reply from Deer & Doe, and they say "...because the bodice is very loose at the waist, it can tend to ride back on the shoulders a little on some people when the arms move forward, which causes the front waistline and the hem to go up."

They are apparently looking into producing a tutorial on how to adjust the shoulders to stop this from happening.   -<  I suppose I ought to wait until they have done before I make it.  Oh well, it's not at the top of the list anyway, but I could do with a nice, loose summer dress.

DementedFairy

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 20:26:03 PM »
Make lingerie straps and loop it to your bra.  Sorted.  Or put a waist stay in- they don't have to be super snug
C'est moi!