The Sewing Place

Interfacing and Lining

talamasca

Interfacing and Lining
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
Hi, I'm about to make dress A of this pattern:

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-plus-size-short-sleeve-dress-burda-pattern-6549

I'm making 2 and both of my fabrics are cotton. I need to order online for next weekend some interfacing and I wanted to check which weight would be best....I'm thinking this lightweight one...would that be ok?

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Vilene-Ultrasoft-Iron-on-Light-White-by-the-Metre-740.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwo87YBRBgEiwAI1Lkqd7n9plGBOqTiCpHEq4u2FFd5pDkSQje8fgbcyRMJFtK8_hF88xkXBoCWvYQAvD_BwE

Also, when it comes to lining the bodice should I just use my cotton again?  If not what should I use and should I colour match to main fabric which for one would be a med orange/yellow/gold colour!

Thanks in advance  :D

Efemera

Re: Interfacing and Lining
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
As to lining it depends on the weight of your cotton fabric, if it’s fairly substantial I would use a cotton lawn for lining, you could use that for interfacing as well. I never really use interfacing unless it’s a button band or shirt collar.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
Also, don't fret about matching lining colours.  If your main fabric is translucent, lining colour matters, but otherwise it's for your eyes only.

Interfacing is for reinforcement, and can be ANYTHING.  Like most, for years I was brainwashed into thinking it had to be vilene or some other specific interfacing.  Now I use anything I have around, and match the weight to the fabric and finished effect [ie do I want s soft collar, or a very structured one, etc.]
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
I use any old iron on that is of a suitable weight and don't go for the fancy, expensive stuff.  As for lining, I prefer a polycotton mix that is not slippery or shiny.  Easy to cut and sew. :D

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »
Iron-on interfacing is easier to use; once it's fused into place it is effectively just one layer of fabric.  Sew-in interfacing needs a bit more care.  The purpose of interfacing is to strengthen and support the fashion fabric in areas of stress, but it shouldn't have too much effect on the drape of the fabric, so the lightweight one is probably right. 

The purpose of lining is to cover up all the raw edges and make the inside of the garment look nice.  Cotton lawn inside a cotton dress would be nice

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

talamasca

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 11:59:37 AM »
That's great, thank you.  What sort of price should I pay for white cotton lawn? Some seem expensive for being used as lining.  Can anyone recommend an online shop for the cotton lawn?

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
I sometimes buy lawn on eBay.  I don't much care about colour, but once bought loads of a sort of rose pink at a very low price- great under white fabric.  My favourite linings are bemberg/cupro for coats etc, and silk/cotton mix [also easily available on eBay] which is very light, and cool and smooth to wear
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 14:10:53 PM »
Personally I'd go for lightweight press on interfacing but if you intend to line it I think I'd pass on the interfacing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 16:19:46 PM »
You'll need to stabilise the neck edge, but it doesn't have to be interfacing, a little tape, or some offcut selvages work really well
C'est moi!

talamasca

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 17:51:47 PM »
I've found some antistatic soft poly dress lining which is a good price....though it doesn't mention what sort of weight it is but I'm thinking it'll be fairly light....I'll probably ring and ask tomorrow though.

I think the interfacing is for the armholes and neckline and one of the fabric is quite thin so best to get some

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 17:54:50 PM »
I bought some white cotton lawn from Maggie's Fab Fabrics on eBay (sorry can't do links on my tablet) and it was lovely and fairly cheap.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 17:56:24 PM by Ellabella »

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 18:00:37 PM »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

talamasca

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »
Thank you.  I've ordered 5 sample pieces of fabrics so I can see which I prefer and would work best with the main fabric.