The Sewing Place

Today I've made a bra

Ploshkin

Today I've made a bra
« on: June 03, 2018, 15:46:56 PM »
This is my 3rd bra attempt using the Cloth Habit Watson pattern.
The first was a toile and the second plain navy in similar fabric.  Today right out of my comfort zone I've been fighting with lace and very slippery lining.  It was a bra kit from where I can't remember.  It wasn't without its challenges but I'm pretty pleased with how it has turned out and ..... it fits absolutely perfectly.  It is the first time in my life I have had a nice, lacy bra (that fits) in a colour other than black or white.
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

One issue with using a kit for this pattern is that the strap elastic is also the trim for the back which I like but the kits have 1m of strap elastic which doesn't leave room for an adjustable strap.  So, I didn't bother with the rings and sliders on this one as there's nowhere to slide it to.  Because of the scalloped cup edges I tried using 1/4" transparent elastic for the top but it was a nightmare.  My Pfaff isn't the best at zig zagging and I just kept getting tunnelling so I ended up using a 1/2" strip of the sheer lining fabric folded in half as I figured it was for stabilising the edge not for the stretch.  It worked just fine.  I didn't particularly want the bow but it covers up the middle point which is a bit dubious.

I find it annoying that it is so difficult to get matching elastics - the colour of the strap elastic is a bit green but the elastics used elsewhere are just the right colour.  Why is it that we are so short changed in the UK when it comes to supplies?
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

Re: Today I've made a bra
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 16:04:04 PM »
Lovely job Ploshie, it must have been incredibly fiddly.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 16:24:29 PM »
very nice
The missus wants me to make her some soft cup bras [I hate that 'bralette' nonsense]
I know when I was determined to master bra making I bought loads of lace, elastic and fittings from eBay and Vena Cava.  Have you tried looking there?
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 16:26:36 PM »
Fantastic @Ploshkin . Very professional
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 18:28:23 PM »
One issue with using a kit for this pattern is that the strap elastic is also the trim for the back which I like but the kits have 1m of strap elastic which doesn't leave room for an adjustable strap.  So, I didn't bother with the rings and sliders on this one as there's nowhere to slide it to.

It was probably a B-wear kit.  My experience was that their kits are put together assuming that you will be using their pattrn which features an extended strap made of fabric.

I find it annoying that it is so difficult to get matching elastics - the colour of the strap elastic is a bit green but the elastics used elsewhere are just the right colour.  Why is it that we are so short changed in the UK when it comes to supplies?
Yes, I agree, getting all the necessary materials together in matching/co-ordinating colours is the hardest part of making a bra.

Have you seen my thread about materials?  I don't know if it's out of date yet, I haven't been shopping for bra materials recently.
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,144.0.html
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
Being still very new here, I've been pootling around seeing what fascinating things people have done.

I must say I am astounded at my sister's multi skills! Bra-making is something I have often thought of as I am a funny size but I've never known where to begin.

I'll be back!!!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bjay

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 22:43:24 PM »
Oooh lovely
Aways wondered if it was possible especially with my lopsided, scarred old boobs. It's really difficult to find a comfy supportive fit
May read more
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 22:52:35 PM »
Gosh, @Bjay what a coincidence that you should revive this thread almost exactly 2 years since I first posted it.  I still have and wear that bra and it was yesterday that I got out my box of bra bits with a view to making another one or two.

jintie

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
I have some cream stretch bra strap going spare...
Rottweiler with scissors

Celia

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »
This thread is really funny for me to as yesterday I decided I would never use my bra making supplies again, not a lot of success the first time around BUT now you are tempting me to try again.
I need a good softish bra not underwired to wear while in captivity opps sorry lock down :devil: :devil:
Any suggestions for a pattern while I consider giving up I am about a 34DD

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
That's  my size too Celia.  I would love to make one too.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 13:52:32 PM »
The Cloth Habit Watson (non wired) bra @Celia @Flobear
There is a sewalong on the website and a lot of info about fabrics and elastics.
I would have recommended getting a bra toile pack from Sewing Chest but they dont seem to have them at the moment. 
If you get a kit to start it will come with all the bits you need though I do find the strap elastic a bit stingy.  Sewing Chest usually have loads of kit stuff but it seems to be down to one page at the moment.

Also, dont get carried away by your rtw size.  Start with the sizing guide with the pattern - it will probably be completely different from what you usually buy.
Do have a go - it's quite a revelation to have a bra that actually fits properly.

Sewot

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 08:53:32 AM »
An extremely difficult thing to make when considering the curves involved.
Even more difficult is to have it fit well.
Only a pic could prove the pudding...ahem....splurt!
No don't!
I believe you.
Hats off and wonderful delicate sewing.
The hardest piece I have made was a lined bodice for a victorian dress.
That was hard enough.
Superb work.
Pete