The Sewing Place

Blazing heat can only mean its time to start knitting!

beepbeepsew

Blazing heat can only mean its time to start knitting!
« on: June 03, 2018, 19:14:54 PM »
I like to have projects on the go that I can take on holiday with me and I can't ever take my sewing machine.  So I am taking knitting this year.  I have been promising my daughter a jumper since I learnt to cast on a couple of years ago and it's finally started today.

Mirehouse by The Fibre Co. in a mid grey/blue. 

I'm also pretty determined to learn how to do socks but i'm not having much luck there yet lol

Is anyone else casting on in time for the summer hols?

fajita

Re: Blazing heat can only mean its time to start knitting!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 19:29:29 PM »
I knit a pair of socks, twice, using four needles. Felt very proud at the time. Not sure if I'd remember how to these days.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 19:32:27 PM »
I've got some knitting on the go.  It's a cardigan (Aran weight) that will hopefully get finished by the time the weather turns cold.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 19:34:14 PM »
I'm about to start one of these

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/little-cotton-rabbits

for a new Gbaby, my only problem is deciding which one to do.

If this one is a girl I'm hoping to be doing lots of the little dresses etc.

beepbeepsew

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 19:40:29 PM »
@Fajita  It's the four needles thing that is completely stumping me, I can get them going in the round and knit a few rows but its so uncomfortable :/  I think I must be doing something wrong to be honest, I need to get on youtube and watch some more tutorials.

@Ploshkin An aran cardi sounds lovely.

@Ellabella Those rabbits are adorable!  I love toys like that so you can dress them up, I mean my kids do - honest :)

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 20:19:45 PM »
I knit socks on small circular needles.  I can't keep the tension correct on four needles.

As well as my temperature blanket and squares for Blankets for the Homeless, I'm knitting a Celtic Myths shawl.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
I’m always knitting, at the moment a cotton scarf is on the needles, I am also doing English paper piecing

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »
I knit socks on small circular needles.  I can't keep the tension correct on four needles.

I knit socks on four needles.  I can't keep the tension correct on the tiny circulars, and I don't like dangling loops or the dangling points you get with longer circulars!  We are all different.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
I'm a recent convert to circular needles, and I love them!

I love that sweater pattern too!

Unfortunately, my knitting mojo went walkabout some time ago.  If you see him, send him home toot sweet, I have Jemima Puddleducks to finish!  :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 17:49:49 PM »
I like to have projects on the go that I can take on holiday with me and I can't ever take my sewing machine.  So I am taking knitting this year.  I have been promising my daughter a jumper since I learnt to cast on a couple of years ago and it's finally started today.

Mirehouse by The Fibre Co. in a mid grey/blue. 

I'm also pretty determined to learn how to do socks but i'm not having much luck there yet lol

Is anyone else casting on in time for the summer hols?

Yes. I just started knitting for the first time in about 30 years. I bought wool last Thursday and I finished the first one today, a quarter of the second is finished and I just started the third - I get tired of the same yarn so I like to have more than one going.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 17:55:08 PM »
What are you knitting, @Sewbee ?  And where are the pics?   >< ;)

Sewbee

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 18:16:07 PM »
What are you knitting, @Sewbee ?  And where are the pics?   >< ;)

@Pearl Ooohh, I didn't say what I was knitting, did I?

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 18:21:23 PM »
Oh yes, I knew that you were knitting cowls, didn't I?  Sorry, I had a Finding Dory moment.

CocoYorkie

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 17:31:49 PM »
Hello All,

I've currently got a pair of socks (magic loop method), a shawl and just cast on for a cotton tee on my needles.