The Sewing Place

Overlocker needles?

Surest1tch

Overlocker needles?
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find non ballpoint needles for my Janome overlocker please? All I seem to be able to find are ballpoints  :'(

Efemera

Re: Overlocker needles?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »
I don’t know about Janome but I always used any old needles in my Bernina overlocker (which I’ve been using for 30 years with no problems)

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
Can you let us know the model number? Looking at the Janome brochure some of their overlockers use "standard" needles and some use ELX705 needles.

Schmetx have a useful guide to overlocker (serger) needles explaining the difference between standard (130/705H) needles and ELX705 needles.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 16:07:23 PM »
I too have always used 'ordinary' needles in my Brother overlocker. In fact when I tried a 'blue tip' needle which I tend to use most of the time in my regular machine the blue tip ones broke twice on the overlocker. I honestly can't remember breaking a needle on it and it's 28 years old! I went back to the ordinary ones after that!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 20:33:19 PM »
It's the Janome my-lock, I bought about 200 needles when I first got it but I'm now down to the last 10 and unfortunately the shop I got both the machine and needles from is now gone  :'(.  After reading what you said about normal needles I've just been and tried a couple in it but it doesn't sound right and not sewing properly so I guess I've got a machine that's grown to be as temperamental as I am.  I did send for a pack of 5 ballpoints from Amazon which are ok but I don't often sew fabric that calls for ballpoints so I need a new stash of ordinary needles.  Using the needle code the manual recommends is just throwing up ballpoints.
The machine has never given me any trouble in all the years I've had it despite the abuse it's been put through (by me) and I really don't want to mothball it just for the sake of the needles

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 20:53:37 PM »
What a pity standard needles didn’t work.

There seem to be quite a few My Lock models - is there a model number on the machine?
We might be able to find a non-ballpoint equivalent if you let us know what needles they recommend.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 20:57:54 PM »
Just a thought why don't you contact Janome UK? They are in Bredbury, near Stockport. They will I'm sure be able to help you. Phone number is 0161 666 6011.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
My-lock machines seem to need HA-1 SP needles.
https://www.absolutesewing.co.nz/schmetz-hax1sp-overlocker-needles/
rather than regular 130/705H needles, or ELx705 needles which a number of other overlockers use.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 01:44:28 AM »
HAx1 SP is regular Sharp Point needles, a.k.a. 130, 705, etc.  EL-705 is the same needle system, but have slighly different grooves along the side to keep over lockers behaving (they tend to be speedy and go through multiple threads and loops). EL needles are slightly stronger and stiffer than (doesn't flex as easily) the basic 705 neeedles. There are sooooo many different needle types to select from in this system it's hard to get a complete overview. They are not the only enforced or sturdy 705 needle. I thought most overlockers were made to work with a basic 705 needle (at least those who take this needle system), but some can be a bit more fuzzy when it comes to some thread and fabric, I guess needle type too.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »
Gosh 200 needles...mine is 30 years old and I’ve probably used less than 40 needles in all that time..then again I’m a slutty sewer.

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
@arrow, thanks so much for that info, I found some Schmetz and ordered 3 packs. I wonder why they come in packs of 5 when most overlockers use 2 at a time? When I bought the stock I had they were in boxes of 100, I can't seem to find any in quantities like that. I hope they don't take long to come, I'm kind of panicking now in case I run out which means I'll have to get back to decorating instead of doing what I want to do, which is sew at the moment!
@Helen M, thanks for that phone number, I have tried ringing them this morning but I was on hold for ages and got fed up of waiting so hung up  :devil:
A big thank you to everyone else who helped, it's been very much appreciated

arrow

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 13:41:24 PM »
This seller has 10 packs, I if you contact him, he probably has larger packs of them too. Ask which brand it is, I would not go for the Chinese made Flying Tiger, Butterfly (I doesn't look like it is); they aren't as finely polished as the regular brands. I buy their large sized needle for my old straight stitchers, but the finer needles can make the thread snap. I just did random ebay search, and I don't know the seller much. I might have bought some size 120 needles from him once, and it turned out to be Schmetz.

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 14:15:46 PM »
@Helen M, thanks for that phone number, I have tried ringing them this morning but I was on hold for ages and got fed up of waiting so hung up  :devil:
A big thank you to everyone else who helped, it's been very much appreciated

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 14:36:27 PM »
@arrow, I got some of those from him and to be honest the ones he sent me are not very good, wrapped in a small foil pack and there was rust on them. Guess what they've been filed under, B for bin but thanks all the same. The ones I've ordered this morning are supposed to be Schmetz, I use that brand in my industrial machine and know they are good so fingers crossed.
@Efemera, they have lasted me about 15 years and in comparison to today's prices they were cheap.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 14:42:58 PM by Surest1tch »

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 16:31:22 PM »
There seems to be some confusion here about needles, particularly the HAx1SP (aka Superstretch needle) which also has a medium ballpoint tip, not a sharp point and perhaps surprisingly is part of the standard needle system. See the Schmetz info link in the text below.

As the name suggests, these needles are designed with high stretch knits in mind and I use them all the time for lycra dance dresses in my sewing machine, overlocker and coverstitch because all my machines use the standard 130/705H needle system. Despite the different reference the HAx1SP complies with that standard needle system (as shown in this info from Schmetz here ). It is not the same as the ELx705 needles that many of the Janome & Babylock machines specify.

The only guarantee that you're using the right needle is to check your manual as different brands of machines use different needle systems and then check the needle maker's info if the name or reference is different. They don't make it easy do they?  ><
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.