The Sewing Place

Overlocker needles?

arrow

Re: Overlocker needles?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 19:48:42 PM »
I think part of the problem is Janome at some point made a version of the existing 130 / 705 system, and just kept insisting it is a 130 neelde (or HAx1, 15x1). Organ needles are just ever so slighly shorter (if I remember correctly), than the standard set for this system. Most models by far isn't affected by this slight difference, but it's consisitent, and some report it makes a big difference for their machine.

I looked it up, and I find conflicting info on the SP letter designation? I guess Schmentz' homepages are to be trusted though. Some info list it as sharp point? I guess there are various needle tips available for overlockers, since we sew all kinds of fabrics on them.

Surest1tch; good of you to remember, I would not order from him. There are others. I received a sealed package of Schmetz needles, flawless condition, and I have to admit, it was probably from a different seller then. I just remeber the shops name for some reason.

Kad

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 20:03:04 PM »
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I noticed that @arrow  you reside in Bergen and as such will almost certainly be aware of any fabric shops the metropolis has to offer - I'm going to be there for a couple of days at the end of this week and might just 'need' to buy some  as a holiday souvenir  :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 20:38:28 PM »
I guess there are various needle tips available for overlockers, since we sew all kinds of fabrics on them.

You'd think it, wouldn't you but I've only seen ELx in universal & ballpoint (SUK). That's why I'm so glad I've got Bernina,  Brother & Juki overlockers & coverstitcher. I can use all the fabric/thread specific types available. It's a huge convenience.

The HAx1SP isn't sold in many places and (until today) I've only seen Organ on sale in the UK. I get a 10-pack in a paper fold from BSK Ltd as I drive past once a week. They note them as suitable for the Babylock hemmer while their packs of 5 are in plastic boxes and noted as being for Janome.  Barnyarns have them too under the Superior brand which is related to Organ according to the blurb - not tried these as they're more expensive for 5 than I pay for 10! For the first time I see they've now got the Schmetz ones (they told me they didn't stock them back in March) so must be new.  They're half the price of the Superior pack so I'll give them a go. 

Being chrome coated they last so much longer too - another plus!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 20:40:03 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 13:45:40 PM »
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I noticed that @arrow  you reside in Bergen and as such will almost certainly be aware of any fabric shops the metropolis has to offer - I'm going to be there for a couple of days at the end of this week and might just 'need' to buy some  as a holiday souvenir  :)

Fabric stores are hardly existing here. The last of the old ones that had everything went out of business in the early 2000, it started in the late 1990s. There are a few shops who cater to quilters, and a  new shop that replaced the old Husqvarna shop in center of town. I have heard there is a large fabric shop outside of town, a bit like a storage housing;I have plans to invesitgate. I hope to find shirt material, but some say they have mostly curtain stuff.

Bergen is a small town by international standards, not very small, but if you are UK, I guess you would call it a small city or town. As long as I can remember, people have brought yards and yards of fabric back from holidays in the UK. They brag something awful about price and selection over there ;- ) I hope you find other things to do, I am afraid a fabric hunt will be disappointing. You can hardly by curtains by the meter anymore, everything is ready made.  I am largely depedant on online stores, ordering samples when possible, and trying to find something suitable with out being able to  hold the fabric between my fingers (which I consider a must). 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 13:49:06 PM by arrow »

Surest1tch

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 16:28:01 PM »
Wow, the Schmetz needles arrived this morning less than 24 hours after I ordered them.  If they work properly I'm not going to grumble about the price for once either, I got 20 for £8.91 with free postage. Going to try them later and if they are ok I'm going to send for more.
Thanks again everyone for all your help and information  <3

Kad

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 17:03:38 PM »
Thanks @arrow. I did discover a shop today in Voss that sold both knitting yarns/patterns and quilting cotton We were travelling from Lofthus to Flam stopped for a snack about lunchtime and this shop was really near to where we parked the car. The lady was very friendly, as have been all the Norwegians that we've encountered, and had lots of fabrics to choose from....
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

arrow

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 01:19:13 AM »
There are a few yarn shops that might have something of interest. The shops that sell fabric for national costumes have nice woven wool and linen fabrics, a few cotton fabrics too, but they are a bit on the expensive side. There's a few yarn shops, and knitted wool garments. The factory at Dale (not too far from Voss) usually have a nice collection of new patterns and sweaters.