The Sewing Place

Drawing wool from the centre of the ball

Marniesews

Drawing wool from the centre of the ball
« on: June 07, 2018, 16:01:31 PM »
I'd noticed some knitters drawing wool from the centre of the ball & thought this would be really useful as I'm often crocheting in the front passenger seat of the car with my wool in a bag.

I haven't found a reliable way of doing this without frequently pulling out a mass of tangled wool first. Any tips?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ploshkin

Re: Drawing wool from the centre of the ball
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 18:00:22 PM »
I think you only get the tangle at the start of the ball where there is a tight core.  Once that central hole opens out a bit you should be ok.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 19:23:10 PM »
Pulling from the centre of the ball works for a lot of people, but IMO once the ball starts to collapse around the used up middle it collapses and makes for more mess than working from the outside  :\

Fishing the middle out is very easy sometimes, but at other times it comes out as a huge great tangle.  I think it's one of those things that you have to try a few times to decide which way suits you.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 19:28:03 PM »
It's never an easy thing to do. Only once or twice have I managed to not pull out a bird's nest and spent ages finding the end of it.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 19:37:15 PM »
Something I do a lot as it stops the wool rolling around plus once you get started the wool flows much more smoothly - well usually anyway.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 19:56:55 PM »
I'll just persevere now I know there's no secret tip. Thanks.  :)

It makes a huge difference when unwinding from a ball inside a carrier bag and the loose floppy stage seems ok when it's enclosed too.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 00:26:54 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 00:09:37 AM »
I prefer to pull from the centre of the ball if possible, as the ball tends to move around less when I'm actually knitting.

I generally have a root around when I start but give up if I can't find the end easily.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »
Perhaps the collapse as you get near to the outside could be prevented if this balk was enclosed in a small bag or container - I'm thinking here of balls of garden string that come in a tin.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »
I seem to remember that Kaffe Fassett takes off his shoes and puts his balls of wool inside them when he's knitting in public...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
I pull from the centre because it stops the yarn rolling around , but it can be a bit of a faff getting the middle bit out.

I like the idea of containing the yarn in socks - not so sure about using the ones I'm wearing!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 14:37:00 PM »
His shoes, Jessie, not his socks!  ><  0_0  :o

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
Might it help to rewind the yarn on a wool winder as used by machine knitters? The wound yarn is usually used from the middle but I think some of them come with removable cones that the yarn can be left on and you can then use it from the outside.

They are fairly cheap on Ebay:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/knitting-wool-winder/163085078351?hash=item25f8a0cf4f:g:IbMAAOSwMM9bGBKY

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
Thank you @Greybird. I have to admit my initial response was rewinding wool will only add yet more time to this interminable project (a blanket for DD's king size bed - at her request I hasten to add).

It's supposed to be picked up & put down between sewing but with my memory it's put down & then forgotten for months! I think I'm also discouraged by the bag of big balls of wool (mostly 4 colours per square) that I have to cart about so now I'm thinking I should give this a try, especially as I can draw the wool from the middle too. On reflection it sounds a great idea now.

Many thanks  :D

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 13:55:17 PM »
@Marniesews they wind so quickly that I think it would save you time (and frustration!) in the long run. Good luck!

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 17:20:00 PM »
I've bought one on eBay - 'buy it now' don't want to wait & see if I win a bid.

This one looks more sturdy and has a glowing review from the Crafty Writer but can you believe that price?  :S