The Sewing Place

Flameproofed fabric for children's nightwear

Addiscomber

Flameproofed fabric for children's nightwear
« on: June 07, 2018, 16:20:15 PM »
Does anyone have an online source for flameproofed fabric for nightwear, or do people not bother?

Marniesews

Re: Flameproofed fabric for children's nightwear
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 16:39:55 PM »
I suspect that many don't bother these with both full gathered nighties & open fires as the main heating source being far less common these days. Nevertheless I think it's still required for commercially made nightwear for children & I'm sure I've seen it but unfortunately not made a note (not something I've made). Might have been Plush Addict possibly?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 16:51:44 PM »
You can buy a flame retardent spray but it's mainly used for curtaining and upholstery. It stands up to dry cleaning but there's no mention of regular washing.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:58:23 AM »
I was thinking of making some PJ's for the two littlies round here out of a lovely brushed cotton that I bought for the back of Wolfies quilt (didn't make the cut) and hadn't even thought about flameproffocity ...  :S

Is it just nightwear that needs to be flameproof ??? and Why ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 09:14:29 AM »
I found this on Newcastle Council's website. It seems to say that pyjamas don't have to be flameproof, but nightdresses do.

"Nightdresses, dressing gowns and other similar garments commonly worn as nightwear must satisfy the flammability performance requirements specified in Clauses 3.1.1 and 3.2.1 of British Standard 5722.

Pyjamas and cotton terry towelling bath robes do not have to comply with the flammability standard."

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »
odd ?!  -<
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
odd ?!  -<
I guess nightdresses are more "floaty" than PJs and could be more likely to brush against an open flame.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
I think it's because they believe that a nightdress might flap around, while pyjamas won't, and, of course, no child would ever wear their bathrobe other than tied tightly around their body.   -<  (Seriously, surely cotton is pretty flammable, even if it isn't melty-flammable like some synthetic fibres...  ><  )

I suppose that, even though there are very few open fires these days, they feel that if they relax the regulations and someone gets hurt (or worse) they will be at fault, so we're stuck with a pretty irrelevant regulation.

If I was making a nightdress for a child I don't think I would worry about the fire retardancy, but I would tell the parents so that they could take care if necessary.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 14:22:38 PM »
PJs it will have to be then, when the time comes, although I fancied making a pretty nightie.

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 14:32:48 PM »
Oh you do make me feel old.   :(

I can remember stories of children being badly injured in my youth from standing near to fires and house fires from them being put to warm by the fire on cold nights. We're talking about nighties with big long skirts before central heating became the norm. I always wore pjs because my mum really worried about it. We had an open fire in the living room & a coke burner in the dining room.

It was a significant cause of death for children in 'the old days' and both the fire regs for children's nightwear & also regs for using a fire guard in households with children were introduced as a result.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 21:15:36 PM »
All I can find is flame resistant curtaining, but although it may not be a cheap option had you thought about buying an outsize night shirt or nightgown and cutting it up to make the children's nighties in if you've really got your heart set on them?
Sorry if it sounds a bit whacky but if I'm honest I've come up with far more strange ideas and pulled them off too  :ninja:

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 23:05:47 PM »
had you thought about buying an outsize night shirt or nightgown and cutting it up to make the children's nighties

I might be wrong, but I didn't think that adult night clothes have to be fire resistant.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
You're right @BrendaP. The regs only apply to children over 6mths & under 13 years.