The Sewing Place

Pattern storage - show us yours...

Bodgeitandscarper

Pattern storage - show us yours...
« on: June 07, 2018, 17:30:39 PM »
How do you all store your sewing patterns?  I've been looking for some boxes, plastic storage or anything the right size, but failing.  I'm at the stage of thinking cardboard box and sticky back plastic, but I'm sure someone has a better idea...
Ideally I want them to stand upright and the container not have a lid, so they are easy to look through.

Surest1tch

Re: Pattern storage - show us yours...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 18:23:06 PM »
I've got mine in a set of plastic draws & some shoe boxes.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 18:36:03 PM »
Stuffed in drawers...have to dig through everything to find anything.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 18:49:16 PM »
Bearing in mind that the majority of mine are pdfs. they are firstly on my computer (and backed up on another one and a memory stick), and secondly in see-through plastic wallets stored in a series of magazine files like these:

(These are not mine - I'm too lazy tired to go upstairs and photograph them - although mine are just as pretty.

My traditional-style patterns are in similar pretty boxes with lids, a bit like these:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 18:52:07 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gemma

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 21:13:10 PM »
I use archive boxes - cheap and ugly, but easy to paint if you want to pretty them up.
Standing on end there's space for two rows of butterick/McCall's/simplicity with a small gap in between. Vogue patterns have to lie on their sides at the end as they're too tall.
Pdf patterns I'm still working on a system, I punch holes and have them hanging from a hook but it's really hard to find the right one.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 21:38:54 PM »
A two drawer vertical metal file cabinet, heavy duty. Holds standard patterns 2 wide and the oversize ones turned on their side. It has a full width adjustable divider, like a wall, that I adjust as needed. Everything is sorted by type and I have tabs that show on red cardstock with category name. Current wishful thinking goes at front of top drawer, seldom used, like men's and costume patterns are back of lower drawer.

When I get an overflow I cull back and try to keep myself to this and a plastic shoe box of alleged current projects. Really it's just a drool box.

PDF's I use are generally over sized Lagenlook type stuff. Many are clamped into pant hangers and hanging in the closet or draped over a portable clothing rack. I'm going to put hooks on the back wall of my closet, under the shelf, so they can hang flat against the wall, out of the way.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 21:42:55 PM »
My patterns are a mixture of the standard packets (big 4 type), A4 size (Jalie) and my various own drafted patterns and tracings. I keep the commercial originals in appropriate sized boxes but I use lever arch files with Rexel type plastic pockets and gusseted plastic folders with stud fastening from Wilko.

As you can see I keep some of the original patterns with my tracings, especially when I've several on the go. It's a good way of keeping WIP together while easily accessible.

I also like to pull out patterns that I'm thinking of sewing up but may not even have fabric for just yet and keep those out as an essential reminder — it'll be Christmas before I remember that cute sundress pattern otherwise.

I can fit 4 of the small standard packets in one folder pretty comfortably and if they're side by side and back to back, the illustrations are all visible.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

crafter

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 23:44:47 PM »
I remove the pattern from the envelope and place it in an envelope of the same size with the number written at the top.  This goes into a box, filed numerically.  Boxes are kept well out of the way - usually in the loft.

I place the pattern envelope into a plastic sleeve and file in lever arch files, filed according to type.

Works for me.

Bowerbird

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 04:50:52 AM »
I use the Ikea 4 drawer Brimnes.

Each drawer can fit 2 rows of standard pattern envelopes side by side. Pdf's that have been printed are in an A4 ziplock bag and they fit in a single row landscape style.

There is more than enough room for my collection, any more and it's time to cull. I'm never going to live long enough to sew what I've already got.

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
I don't really have a system.  I have a couple of plastic baskets where the V/B/M/KS/NL type are stored because it's the right width.  My style arcs are stored in magazine type boxes on the bookshelf.  The PDFs are also put into large files with a picture taped on front and also stored in the magazine boxes.  And usually i have a couple of patterns hanging in the closet because they are ones that are used often and I don't want to fold them up.

I don't think I'll be taking photos though ... they are kind of a mess.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »

The brown envelope contains an uncut pattern from when I was precious about the factory folds.  These days I just fold the pieces small enough to go back into the sleeve.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »
I have great hopes of one day having a comprehensive system for both patterns and fabric.  So far, I'm failing miserably, so I look forward to picking up some tips here.

Mine are all over the place.  Tracings and pdf's live in large storage boxes rolled up, but patterns live in various boxes, some at work and some at home.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
I use shoe or boot boxes, the patterns are alpabetical by brand and then numeric, the ones I have traced off are in large white envelopes of a similar size with number etc written across the top and kept at the front ('cos they're my favourites). The boxes are then tucked away at the side of the sofa under a small telephone table. I go through them now and then and weed out the ones I don't like, not much space in my bungalow. I wish I had room for a suitable cabinet but I would probably keep too many.
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
This is what I keep mine in. It works quite well although I need more!

Samantha

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
I put mine in clear plastic wallets and then into a box (like Acorn posted) I have to rummage through. However why did I not think of lever arched files? Much easier to flick through! I shall be raiding the stationery cupboard at work today me thinks  :ninja: