The Sewing Place

Pattern storage - show us yours...

Kwaaked

Re: Pattern storage - show us yours...
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 17:44:02 PM »
I have mine tossed into cardboard boxes.  One time I had them all in manilla envelopes to be put into a filing cabinet, so a good portion are like that, some are the envelopes they came in.

It is the only thing I do not have a system for: commercial patterns.

Drafts and PDFs are on patten hooks and either on my garment rack or coat hooks.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 19:35:18 PM »
Interesting this I imagined there would be perfect filing systems all over but thankfully most are the same as my system,
three stuffed baskets with a fourth full of done patterns, never to be used again.  I suspect even if I had more space it would be the same.

The only real system is for the pattern currently in use, a nice zipped folder to keep everything inside until finished.  A system that has only recently started through losing a pattern piece half way through.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 21:30:23 PM »
@Gernella: if I had more patterns, there would be a system.

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 22:25:53 PM »
Upstairs there's a little 2-drawer filing cabinet, fairly well stuffed.  Not all of the patterns have been used, but most have.  Then there's a great big shoe/boot box full of ones that have some sort of theme [I think they're evening/bridal and a very few old children's ones]  A small zippy bag with some bag making oddments and patterns, a small ziplock with same for undies.  A couple of carrier bags of patterns and scraps waiting to be filed, because when I clear the sewing space I tend to just lob the bagfuls into the boxroom.  Very messy.
DOWNstairs, a large-ish drawer full of ones I want to make soon, plus a box on the windowsill of the ones I've recently finished or have half made, or want to cut out very soon.
Oh yes, and some rolled up PDFs in a cardboard box in the corner...
Oh dear. :S :* :snip: :snip: :snip:I do have a lot.
C'est moi!

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 03:39:11 AM »
@UttaRetch lol you'd think so, but I can't afford the amount of filing cabinets I need.

Ergo...boxes it is.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »
Found a traced off skirt pattern in a tube.

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »
I seem to remember that after my niece finished university, she rented a small shop in the village for her first venture as a seamstress away from home (boy did I envy her cutting out table).  Anyway she bought a chest of drawers/cabinet in a charity shop, complete with drawers full of mostly very old Vogue patterns.

To be honest all these descriptions, I think we need more pictures!

I've pencilled in for decorating the room in 2019 (I might  then get rid of the ceiling shades that have been up 40 years).  I just might get more organised (in my dreams!).

Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Hachi

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 22:58:16 PM »
When I buy a new pattern, I make a copy of the envelope front and back. If it's a PDF, I print out the cover/line drawing and yardage info page. If one pattern comes with different types of garment (e.g. top and skirt), I make multiple copies.

The printed/copied page then goes into my pattern catalog binder. The binder is divided into types of garment: top, skirt, pants, dress, outer, underwear, and bag.

The unused physical pattern envelopes are stored in a box in alphabetical order by company.

Once the pattern is used, I put them in a manila envelope so that I can keep original patterns and traced patterns together and keep the instruction and pattern pieces from PDF patterns together. I write down the pattern company name, pattern # or pattern name, and a short description of the pattern ("McCalls 7254" then below it "cardigans") at the right top corner of the envelope and right side edge of the envelope. The envelopes are then stored in alphabetical order by company.

Marniesews

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 23:52:08 PM »
That sounds a beautifully meticulous system, Hachi.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
When I buy a new pattern, I make a copy of the envelope front and back. If it's a PDF, I print out the cover/line drawing and yardage info page. If one pattern comes with different types of garment (e.g. top and skirt), I make multiple copies.

The printed/copied page then goes into my pattern catalog binder. The binder is divided into types of garment: top, skirt, pants, dress, outer, underwear, and bag.

The unused physical pattern envelopes are stored in a box in alphabetical order by company.

Once the pattern is used, I put them in a manila envelope so that I can keep original patterns and traced patterns together and keep the instruction and pattern pieces from PDF patterns together. I write down the pattern company name, pattern # or pattern name, and a short description of the pattern ("McCalls 7254" then below it "cardigans") at the right top corner of the envelope and right side edge of the envelope. The envelopes are then stored in alphabetical order by company.

This confirms I am definitely a slut.  :fish:  I'd have to get paid to organise a system like that. I'll just have to put it down to the fact  that if you have a creative mind you can't be arsed with the nitty gritty.  I can't even keep the sewing room tidy.  :fish:

Hachi

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 22:22:43 PM »
if you have a creative mind you can't be arsed with the nitty gritty. 
I totally agree with you. While I like making stuff, I'm not creative and I prefer structure.  :P

Kwaaked

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 00:28:24 AM »
I'm  creative, and I find that the nitty gritty makes it easier to not fuss with everything else.

Buuut, I schedule times of the year where I overhaul the sewing studio.  I made the pants for the floral contest and I have scraps of thread, ribbon and junk everywhere.  Floor, cutting table, sewing machine...

And you can't come to my studio because you'd never make it through the office.  I have to finish a dress because...you guessed it: I can't get to the serger and the industrial is down for repairs.  Want a cuppa?  Can't!  I have no idea what box the Keurig crap is in! (I bought another box of coffee since I couldn't find that either.  I think it's under the interfacing rolls, which is behind my industrial saddle treadle piled with several bags of I don't know with my daughter's scooter, chair and toys piled to the side while dancing with the junk my SO pushes into my area.)

In all fairness, my SO is worse then I am.  And he's not creative AT ALL.

Since this is one of my regularly scheduled clean up times (I made the floral contest instead of cleaning between classes starting) before I start to work on FW collections, I expect it to be a mess.  I'll have to spend a couple of weeka cleaning before I start on the SWAKOP while going to school.

I don't find clutter to be any more inspiring then tidy.  Matter of fact, I don't care and it doesn't affect my own creativity.  Which, hate to tell you, most of it isn't actually "creative" as it is a practice in just doing "creative" until it kind of sorta works.  And then editing the hell out of it.

Gernella

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »

And you can't come to my studio because you'd never make it through the office.  I have to finish a dress because...you guessed it: I can't get to the serger and the industrial is down for repairs.  Want a cuppa?  Can't!  I have no idea what box the Keurig crap is in! (I bought another box of coffee since I couldn't find that either.  I think it's under the interfacing rolls, which is behind my industrial saddle treadle piled with several bags of I don't know with my daughter's scooter, chair and toys piled to the side while dancing with the junk my SO pushes into my area.)

I feel much better now <3

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

When we bought the bookcase for the new study I got a matching cabinet with a couple of wicker drawers and a small cupboard at the bottom.  Initially I was going to ditch the wicker drawers, which don't look very nice, and use the shelves for books, but as I could only get small books onto those shelves, and then found that the patterns that were in shoeboxes fitted in nicely I decided that they would be my pattern storage area.  It's already nearly full :o

.pdf patterns are kept on the computer, though anything which is printed out is folded and put into a C5 envelope (the size which take A4 paper folded in half) and a printed pic of the garment stuck to the front of the envelope.

I did a lot of sewing in the 1970s and 1980s and I had four large supermarket boxes (remember when they used to give boxes away free!) stuffed full.  In a rash moment about ten years ago I let Terry persuade me to send them for recycling.  :\   I still have a few soft toy patterns which are shoved at the back of the cupboard containing the fabric stash.  Maybe I should sort them out and offer to TSPers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »
Love that kind of storage.  We have something similar only larger and wider in the conservatory (cum dumping ground for all things that should not come any further into the house).  It's sure hides the rubbish.  I'd  been thinking of a chest of drawers or similar but the room is cramped enough with computer stuff and sewing machines.  I think I'd need a major revamp before I could bring anything else in, although down for decorating next year so got time to think about it.